winter holiday planning?

I know it seems early to be even discussing this, but this year I'm trying to do as much from scratch as possible, and adding to that I am broke I feel it's less stressful to plan far, far in advance. Is anyone else even thinking of that big holiday as of yet? I'm trying to work on it as much as possible while the pressure is still off.

Our family and friends celebrate Christmas, though it's more for the sentimentality of family than based on the actual religion. I myself am more of an earth spirit based person, and I do try to incorporate those ideas as well. This year I want to try to have an all natual holiday, as far as decorations and presents.

I don't know if I'm going to buy a fake tree or use a real one however. I live in an apartment, thus not able to mulch or compost a large tree, and I'd hate for it to go to waste. For the ornaments, I'm thinking blown, dyed eggs, pine cones, various dried flowers, shredded paper garland, and holly or cranberries. There may be a few "real" ornaments involved, and possibly some lights for the sake of my beau. There is holly bushes and pine trees located close to home, so that will help in decorating, as it did last year as well. There are also an abundance of foliage and citrus fruits, so I'm in luck.

I'm also going to attempt to craft everyone on my list their presents, as well as giving some of the parents a professional, very nice framed photo of the guy and I as a gift for their desks, etc.

Right now I'm just trying to work out what I'm going to give everyone, and what needs to be bought. I'm trying to buy around birthdays and everything else between now and then.

Sorry for rambling, but I was just curious as to what, if anything, anyone else has planned. I'd love some more inspiration.

2. # ADS

Actually... in thinking about what I'm planning on attacking this summer project-wise, I realized that if I'm going to craft ANY christmas presents for family/friends it will need to be this summer. In the fall I'll be working and going to school full time and early Dec. I'm going to Belgium on an Art History extravaganza!!

Anyway, I totally know what you mean about wanting to plan ahead. I'm kind of obsessive about getting things done early... you'll have to update when you decide what to craft for others on your list. I'm thinking I might start store-buying now as well, just to take some of the pressure off come December.

I started on my mother and father in law's gift (probably the biggest/most complicated gift) already. I need to do a big batch of soaps and candles this summer to have on hand too. I actually made a bunch of hats and scarves over winter break for this christmas!

my sisters, mom, sister in law, and mother in law are all getting soap baskets. I know that I'm making them a simple batch of liquid soaps in various scents, but I may include lotions as well, and some filler which hasn't been decided yet. My father is getting a nicely framed picture of the boy and I for his desk, and perhaps some true crime books or some office supplies. I have a few friends I've not decided for yet, but it's also going to most likely be crafty things. My boyfriend is getting a lightbox/lamp, a project I'm customizing from craftster.org and a homemade rainmaker. I had another idea for him as well, but now I've forgetten it!

Its never too early to start planning. I start the day after Christmas for the following Christmas. That way I get all of my supplies and other items on clearance throughout the year. So far Ive made a blanket for my sister and a homemade recipe book for her and my mother in law. Ive also bought and made a whole lot of cat themed items for a gift basket (for my sister too... I always spoil her) because thats what she loves. The other thing that I started was a journal that I intend to give to my daughter when she turns 18 or 21 or whenever. (shes 10 now). I write to her or tell stories about us so she'll always remember how close we were/are.

Remove Ads

Ads