Anyone work with their SO?

OK, here's the deal: I am a high school librarian. My boyfriend is currently a retail manager but wants to teach social studies - he is certified and everything. There is going to be at least one social studies opening at my school next year, and I told him to apply, but we both kind of have mixed feelings about the possibility of working together. Is anyone else in a similar situation? Is it just too much togetherness to work with someone you live with, or is it cool? We wouldn't really be seeing each other much during the day, but, I don't know, the proximity still might be weird. Any thoughts, craftistas?

Alison

2. # ADS

At my campus, the registrar and one of the professors are married. I think it works because they maintain professional distance. Except for the sometimes calls placed, that end in things like, "Yes, so you might want to check on that course listing, it appears to be incorrect. Bye, sweetheart."

At my high school, we'd had a few married couples, and that had worked out fine. They were a little less professional, but they seemed to enjoy themselves. And these would be people just a hall from one another. I'm guessing there's enough physical distance from the library to most of the classrooms?

i think it completely depends on the couple. i used to work in the same co-op as my then-so, plus we lived together and went went to the same school together, all the same classes. we were inseperable to the point of codependency, but we were fine with it.

on the other hand, my husband and i have tried to share a few aspects of his work- i would take over some of the paperwork/accounting for his business...we wouldn't see each other any more often, but since we both seem to have authority issues, we have yet to be able to really share his business this way without fighting.

what parts of the situation do you each feel uncomfortable or hesitant about?

Quote Originally Posted by honeybee
    what parts of the situation do you each feel uncomfortable or hesitant about?
    I guess part of it is that my school can sometimes be a hotbed of gossip, and I have managed to mostly stay out of that thus far. If he were there, it might make my personal life more of a community property, so to speak. Also, if he had any professional conflicts, I wouldn't want to get pulled into them, and vice versa.

It might be kind of fun, though. There are two other married couples on the faculty and they seem to do just fine, so who knows.

Alison

Work is actually where I met my husband. I worked there on and off for six years while he was the manager. I think as long as you leave personal business at home, it's fine. It doesn't sound like you will actually be working together, but at the same place. My in laws both worked in the same library. One day my MIL got mad at my FIL and threw a bag of doughnuts at him while they were at work.

Sharing a ride to work is nice, I drop off my boy elsewhere, but the little bit of time we spend listening to NPR is fun :)

It seems to me that since you're in the library and not another teacher at his grade level you won't have much professional interaction, which could make things better. And won't it be nice to have someone to share your lunch with?

My partner and I work at the same family business. I am in the office all the time and he's in sales so he's usually out, so we aren't in each other's faces all the time. I might see him a for a few hours a day max, and we're both working on something so it's not like we're hanging out with each other. It works out fine except that sometimes we bring out work home with us. So it works for us.

But . . . his dad has gotten divorced twice because of his wives and working together. They can't seem to maintain a professional distance and it would break down to screaming fights in the middle of the office.

Since you are working in two different departments I don't see that happening to you! Plus like kindarana says, it's nice to have lunch with your partner.

I worked at the same workplace as my husband once and I think it not only depends on the couple, but the workplace. We both worked at a very stressful place and it really took it's toll because we didn't have a safe, outside haven from it. On the other hand, if it's a good work environment I can see how it would be very nice, especially if it was just the same workplace, not the same department or field.

I think it definatly depends on the workplace and the couple. I recently had to work with my now ex-boyfriend where he was hired as my manager....It was not good. But I doubt that in a school you would be rubbing elbows on a constant basis, so It might not be too bad a thing for you guys.

i think it would be fine..i wouldnt mind working with my boyfriend/husband especialy if you arent together too muchin the day. i know its a lot diferent, but i worked with my best friend for a while where we were together a lot at work and at school and after work, on the weekends..all the time. like making breakfast for each other and taking care of each others tummy aches. acutaly, it felt like we were married hehe. i think its comforting though, if you are having a bad day or somthing you have someone to go talk to or just see that isnt just a co worker. but, anyhow...it was just fine in the end.

Remove Ads

Ads