Brooklyn, NY question

Does anyone here live in the Bushwick section of Brooklyn? My Mom grew up there. (I was born in Queens, though, go figure!) We are hoping to go back east this summer and we're wondering if Bushwick is an OK area to visit.
    My Mom's 81 so she realizes that it will be ENTIRELY different! But she's still curious
    TIA!!!

2. # ADS

i live there. what, specifically do you want to know about in terms of it being "ok"? i'd be happy to answer any questions you might have!

oops! Sorry! Should have been more clear with the question! I think "safe" was the word I should have used but, if a crafter lives there, I know it's safe! :-)
    Do you know where Pelling Street is? That's the street Mom grew up on. Her grandfather was a "gardener" (Mom's term) at the cemetary close to there.

i don't know a pelling st. i know there's a pilling st, but its kind of way out there. if its near the cemetary that's broadway junction, not really bushwick (although its hard to determine where to draw the lines sometimes!). i have no idea what its like out there.

i think its perfectly safe here. its a little creepy and desolate at times, but i live on an okay street very close to the subway station so i'm never too worried. plus i usually have my boyfriend with me. i think its kind of "up and coming" with more of the factories being turned into lofts and more artists and musicians moving out here - we're always getting another cute new coffee shop/art gallery, and there are a couple health food grocery stores (although i do most if not all of my grocery shopping in manhattan).

honstly, every neighborhood in new york city has its ups and downs. you can get mugged in the fanciest section of brooklyn, or around here. it all depends on your personal comfort level!

Cool! Thanks for the info!
    It is Pilling Street. I just misheard my Mom's Brooklyn accent! ;-) (big grin!)
    I figured Pilling must be out there a ways because my Mom's family moved out to Queens (Queens Village, then Richmond Hill) when she was in high school. That was "country" (whatever THAT means) back then.
    Anyway, I thank you again for the info! It's great to meet people from "back home"!

Wow -- it sounds like Bushwick really has changed.

A friend of mine lived out there about four years ago, and I made a couple of trips out. And I definitely did NOT feel comfy at the time. He lived right by the Myrtle Street stop, I believe. It was pretty hardcore.

(FWIW, I'm pretty hard to spook; been living in the city for a decade, blah blah)

I should get out there and see what's what.

yeah, apparently "bushwick is the new williamsburg"

***rolls eyes at disgust of uber-hipsters**

Remove Ads

Ads