Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelsea
    Stuff like Science Diet actually has so much filler and isn't worth how freakin expensive it is. If you go to a feed store, or a specialty pet store you should be able to find quality food.

My cat gets a mix of Hill's Science Diet CD (for urinary problems) and UD (for weight control) that we buy directly from the vet. He had serious urinary problems until he started eating Hill's and now he's been fine for more than five years. Every vet I have gone to (and I've moved three times in the past five years, always with my cat) has wanted us to keep using that same food.

I would suggest talking to a vet during the adoption process as well. There are many different opinions out there, even among vets, but if you know one or if someone can recommend one that's reliable, I'd ask for their help as well.

Good luck, I love my cat like crazy!

2. # ADS

Thanks for the advice and stories.

I was going to look for a slightly older/adult cat, maybe a year old at the youngest. Maybe eventually i can mommy a kitten, but not when i'll have tiring (but fun) work every day, frequent work-related trips, etc. I've heard that adult cats can be self-reliant if they're by themselves, but i wouldn't leave a kitten alone for more than a few hours.

I'll keep the biting with declawed cats in mind. My sister has 4 kids, and while kids think they're petting kitty gently, kitty can think that it's being beaten up--and i don't want my 2-yr-old nephew to decide that cats are mean because i have a declawed kitty, who thinks that Jamie's trying to hurt it.

I'm probably not going to adopt before fall, as i'm moving next week and will be living with someone who has a cat--if she okays a kitty, and my cat gets along with hers, then i'll have stories!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheena
    I was going to look for a slightly older/adult cat, maybe a year old at the youngest. Maybe eventually i can mommy a kitten, but not when i'll have tiring (but fun) work every day, frequent work-related trips, etc. I've heard that adult cats can be self-reliant if they're by themselves, but i wouldn't leave a kitten alone for more than a few hours.
    So exciting. If/when I adopt again, I'd like to get an older kitty too. I got my Aslan when he was 4 weeks old, and he's been a wonderful boy -- and there's just something so great about kittens -- but I also know so many sweet, sweet cats who were adopted as older kitties. Sometimes I wonder if there's something about being adopted as older kitties that really bonds them to their new families

I would highly recommend investigating any possibility you might have allergies before you get your heart set. If there's no possibility that you're allergic (if you already have cats), that's great. But my last cat passed away years ago, and I've been just *dying* to get a new one, but I've since been diagnosed with allergies. To make sure, try going to a friends house where there are cats (or the shelter of course), and get in some hard-core kitty time, a few hours of petting and playing, to make sure you're not allergic - no sneezing or itchy nose or running eyes. Because the saddest thing would be to fall totally in love with a kitty, and then have to take it back because you can't breathe! Good luck!

Science Diet is good food - it's all my cats have had and they're very healthy. It's just a little too expensive for what it is - you can get more quality for about the same $$

If you look at the first few ingredients, - Science Diet has "chicken by-product meal" You want to see "chicken" or liver, or whatever.

My mom's cat is allergic to the fillers in Science Diet. Plus it's so expensive, you don't want to waste that much money on something if it's not the best, you know? The other brands should be around the same price. I haven't seen how much they are (since I can't find any around me) but I can't imagine a cat food more expensive than science diet! so hopefully they're not much more. :)

All of my cats have been shelter cats, and the current kitties are absolutely wonderful. They are the best of buddies (which hasn't always happened when I've had more than one at a time). I rediscovered something with these two that I had forgotten over the years. I think male cats tend to be a lot more affectionate than females. My parents always got females to avoid spraying issues, but Spike and Leo both "picked" me immediately, so I brought them home despite my indoctrination. They were both neutered before the came home, which definitely helps with spraying issues, although there was no sign of any such problems at all with them. In my experience, tabbies seem to be the friendliest, and every orange tabby I've ever met has been 200% personality+. Calicos are beautiful, but all of the ones I've had & known tend to be a bit bitchy. Of course, that is part of their charm!

Good Luck! Enjoy your new kitty when you get her/him!

Okay - went back and researched it a little better.

www.dogaware.com has a list of good foods - the same brands are good for cats except Canidae is the dog version of Felidae.

avoid by-products, corn and BHA/BHT preservatives, and avoid magnesium and ash, a low ph - which can cause urinary tract blockages I think fish might cause that too, but don't know if I'm remembering that right.

look for a named meat source as the first ingredient

Some more brands: Solid Gold, Innova, Felidae, Merrick (only has wet food right now), Nutro Natural Choice (I don't know if Chicken Soup for the Cat's Soul exists or what, but it was in my mind for some reason! heh)

But obviously if you can't find any of these...which I think is going to be a problem with me, then Science Diet is still good...much better than grocery store brands. most of the brands should have a store locator on their website.

I can vouch for Nuto Natural Care - that's what Gatsby and Mozart get, and it's worked out great. They get the weight management formula, because they are fat gluttons.

I have two kitties and they have both been on Purina indoor cat formula, and they absolutely love it. I try to give them something else every once in a while when i'm all broke and lazy and can't make it to the grocery store. I wind up having to go to the cornerstore which doesn't sell their food, and they turn up their nose at anything that isn't wet.
    The indoor formula part of it is that it has the fibers in it that the cat would get from eating grass. I once asked a vet (the bag didn't say anything) if maybe it also was weight control for indoor cats since they don't have as much room to roam, he said he wouldn't think so.
    This stuff is good, in my opinion... and it's not too expensive.
    Not that money is an object... or anything...
    -Jera

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads