resources to sort out what i should do with my life?

i am currently employed in my first post-school job, but i am understimulated and not paid enough. it is way more than i've ever made, but recently my husband's student loan payments kicked in (on top of mine, plus creditcard debt, etc.) which will make things supertight and we want to start saving for a house.

the problem is, due to the current understimulation and other factors (depression, mainly) i don't really have a sense of what i can do, skillswise. also, i can't stomach the idea of taking another equally unstimulating or un"me" job just for a higher salary, and i'm really not sure what it is that i want to do anyhow. ideally i would craft all day and run community based arty projects, but that ain't gonna pay our current bills/debts. i'm sure many of you are in the same situation.

anyhow, i want (and need) to get active about sorting this out for myself - and i need some sort of program or guidance about figuring out what kind of skills i have, which ones i'd like to mobilize in a job, what kind of work conditions would work for me, and what kind of jobs are out there. i also need some info on how to access that 'hidden job market' - the ones that aren't advertised, and i guess some shmoozy tactics to get in there.

can anyone recommend some resources that have helped them with this sort of thing? thanks for reading my lament/whine!

2. # ADS

I can't claim to be where I want to be right now either, but a book I read that really got me thinking was "What Color Is Your Parachute?" by Richard Bolles (http://www.jobhuntersbible.com/). It's a job-hunting book, but it has a lot of exercises and discussion on deciding what you want to do with your life and career, and how to go about switching to a very different career.

One I keep planning to finish, but which looks promising, is "I Don't Know What I Want, but I Know It's Not This." http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

My dad sent it to me a couple of job crises ago. It's kind of geared toward people with more experience in whatever job, but it has a lot of exercises to point you in a direction. Good Luck! And take care of your depression - that makes everything else worse. Therapy, drugs, whatever it takes it's worth it.

That's funny...I was going to suggest another book by Po Bronson called "What Should I Do With My Life?".
    I've never read any of his books, but I've read good reviews about them.

thanks for the replies.

in a fit of 'i have to do something right away or i'll let this thing slide into inaction' i picked up "What Next? The complete guide to taking control of your working life" by Barbra Moses, PhD shortly after posting this. for those reading in a similar positon, it seems pretty good. it has lots of exercises to help you figure out what your core motivations are (saving the world, security, etc.), identify what you are good at, and how to market yourself as this career-ready package (which i need in my sad-sack state). there's a bunch of resume/interview tips too, but they don't look too in depth.

but if someone had mad success with another book, please do let me know, because i am willing to look at more than one.

also, i am interested in other people's experiences with doing these sorts of books/programs...were they helpful at all?

Remove Ads

Ads