Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

geocaching, anybody?

My husband is about to start this as a new hobby. It sounds really fun, wandering around in all kinds of places with your handheld GPS trying to find little "caches." I think it will be something we can do together.

The official site is http://www.geocaching.com and there is a good FAQ if you are not familiar.

One element of geocaching appeals to my crafty nature: often the caches have a sort of take-one leave-one policy where when you discover it, you make a note that you found it on the enclosed log, and then there are treats (small toys, bottles of water, etc.) that you can take. But you have to leave one in exchange!

So I'm trying to come up with some good crafty little things I could make that would be our signature geocache items. I'll probably knit little things like those egg-cozy sweaters, and maybe make some magnets. It's a great use for all that scrap yarn, among other things.

Is anybody else doing this? What do you take/leave?

2. # ADS

I had never heard of this, but it sounds like an interesting idea.
    You could always bind little books of your favorite poems, quotations, &c. as a more personalized "cache."

Wow! That sounds like a cool hobby/sport/thing to do!!!

You could make recycled art, maybe a cool picture hammered into a bottle cap frame. Have fun!

My hubby wants to get into it! He bought the GPS and looked for some places, it is just a matter of finding some time.

We will probably leave my handcrafted beads and he will leave some wood engraved prints. I like the possibilities of craftyness about it too.

I read an article in an old Smithsonian of a similiar activity in England called Letterboxing. I don't think you leave objects, it is more about these neat stamps you use in the little lo in books.

Oh, I just have to chime in on this one! I'm actually a letterboxer but I've also tried geocaching. I really like letterboxing since it combines puzzle solving, hiking, and craftiness! It's how I discovered stamp carving and book binding.

Basically, you carry your own signature stamp, and when you find a letterbox, you stamp your signature stamp into the box's log book and stamp the box's stamp into your logbook. You can get really creative when you plant a letterbox from writing the clues, to carving the stamp, to creating the log book.

For more information about letterboxing, go to www.letterboxing.org or www.atlasquest.com.

I would love to see more crafty items in geocaches! Both geocaching and letterboxing are really a lot of fun!

I was on a camping trip last summer where a group of us canoed out to an island and randomly found a geocache. It was pretty weird to discover, not knowing anyhting about geocaching! None of us had anything on us other than cash and other stuff we really couldn't part with, so we didn't leave anything. The geocache had a bunch of little toys, stickers, and first aid supply type things in it. We did sign the log book.

We do this. What a great idea to leave something crafty. Mostly we have found small toys - like you would get in a happy meal. I think the neatest thing we found was some small blown glass pieces, we found those at Cape Disappoinment in Washington state.

I don't know why we don't do this, I know there are some hanging around here in Anchorage. I had a friend in Europe who did it and he left things like keychains, wacky post cards from the states, and other goofy little treats. I got my husband a serious GPS a couple of years ago and he still acts like he got it yesterday! We should start doing this too...

I had heard of letterboxing before, and the geocaching sounds like it would be a lot of fun too! One of these days I'm gonna check these things out!

Letterboxing sounds like fun!

Three of my coworkers are traveling to 3 throughout the year and were doing this.

I can't remember where I read this, probably someone's blog, but a guy buried a box of tapes and DVDs and anyone who finds it can take one, if they leave one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads