Maid of Honor toast ideas?

Hi Everyone-

My best friend is getting married next weekend, so my sister and I (as co-maids of honor) are trying to put together a toast for the reception and aren't having much luck. They're not really the kind of couple that talks about themselves much and they never talk about their relationship (also, they've lived out of state for the last 4 years which means we don't really see the two of them together all that often). Actually, when I sat down to think about it, I couldn't ever remember anything she's ever said about why she loves him or why she wants to marry him, at least not to me or in my presence. As a consequence, we don't have any cute anecdotes about how they felt when they first started dating, what they like about each other, things they like to do together, the proposal, etc. to throw in to "personalize" the speech.

We thought of just going with the kind of "We think you're great and we wish you a lot of luck and happiness" route, but weren't sure what people would think. Do any of you have any ideas? Any toasts that you've enjoyed at weddings?

Thanks in advance!
    -r

2. # ADS

At my wedding, my sister gave a short and touching speech. She spoke of the shock at her realization that my last name was no longer the same as hers. She pointed out the obvious that a new chapter of my life had begun and she wished me and my husband great happiness. It made everyone teary-eyed. Good luck!

I think it's perfectly alright to focus on toasting her, rather than them, if you don't have much experience of "them" to go on. In fact, I would say that half the time I go to weddings the toasts end up being about one or the other person. I went to a wedding last year where the father gave an eight page speech about the bride's childhood!

Remove Ads

Ads