creating a studio, shop and workspace....

i'm at a point in my life where i'm about to graduate from a MA programme in sociology and need to find a job.

i've been hemming and hawing about what to do, and a big part of me wants to start some sort of shop/studio/space that teaches lessons in various crafts along with selling things that my friends are making.

so many small boutiques sell similiar stuff, but i want the whole process to be more organic.

in my dreamworld, there would be several places like this around, and we could all share new skills and techniques. ie, i could go to portland or austin for a week and teach a class, someone could come to my town and do the same.

sometimes i'm not sure if i could make it a reality, but it sure does seem like a damn good one at times. surely it wouldn't be impossible?

2. # ADS

That's a great idea! And there are already people across the country doing that. It would take some research to find them and ge tin on the networking. You could also sell craft books too, as well as supplies, artist's work, etc. There is a store in Chandler tha tis like that. I drool everytime I walk in there, so much tempting stuff and the staff is so into all of it! Make it happen!!

what great news! part of my problem is that i want to live in one area, but continue to go to other parts of the country and see what people are up to, too!

i'm all for researching and getting people together. now finding the time currently to do so is another matter....

x

okay, i'm bumping this once to see if anyone else bites...

i just returned home to the u.s. and am still thinking of opening a space, although it may be more of a 'community info type space' as opposed to a shop.

i'm thinking there may be a way to get funding by the city if it's a non-profit type endeavor?

I take classes in a place in chicago that is much like what you would like to do. It's called LillStreet Art Center http://www.lillstreet.com.

They've grown a lot over the years. I take metalsmithing clases there, and they have a gallery where the artists there can sell their work.

http://www.samiamru.com/crafts/theartlab/

This girl is unluckymonkey on lj and just set up shop a few months ago. She might be helpful to talk to.

badass! thank you so much for the links! i will definitely check them out! it's always so inspiring to hear that there are people out there that are on the same wavelength as you!!!

x

Remove Ads

Ads