Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    i was a little house crazy before but only b/c i didn't like my apartment. i love the one i'm in now. i'll sweep in with my first-time buyer benefits when the housing bubble bursts and everyone who bought above their means tries to unload their "investment." i don't think buying a house is always the best option. two people i know--one a single person the other a married couple--bought above their means b/c that's what they thought they were supposed to have and now either had to take in roommates or cut down elsewhere...or just panic. i don't think there's ever a solution that fits everyone.

2. # ADS

maybe im about to say something wildly irresponsible, but... i LOVE paying rent because i dont want to OWN. i love that when something breaks, i make a call to my landlord. i have no property... no lawns to cut... no floors to refinish. at this point in my life (24 years old, BF is 26) im still getting my wiggles out. i dont WANT to be tied down by the responsibility of ownership.

ti
    i agree with rmeb - why does everyone assume that you COULD buy a place but CHOOSE to throw your money away?

it is incredibly presumptuous - like when these same people tell me i should have children now because i am not getting any younger. i feel like saying, are you going to support them? take care of them? put them through college? are you going to co-sign with me on a loan? or even give me the down payment??

do you have any idea about my financial background? OR do you know something that i don't about MY life?

And yes selah – why is it so damn’d expensive to go to teacher school?? (btw – those with student loans thru direct loans – if you teach for five years – you can get part of your loans “forgiven”)

and honestly - i don't want to be the one right now that has to pay for the water heater if it explodes - or the plumber if the pipes leak or for a new roof.

Right on renters!!!!

My hubby and I hate the city we live in, however, rent is affordable and jobs are plentiful. We're currently paying off some land far to the North - East of here...a place we love, but jobs are not so plentiful. We should have the land paid off in another couple of years...then jobs won't be so much of an issue.

I find people up here assume that renters are just lowlifes who can't buy a house, rather than decent people who don't want to buy.

We don't have to pay for the fixing, painting, taxes, water, mowing, owners' insurance, paving, upkeep, snowshovelling etc. We live here, and as long as the rent and the hydro are paid, our worries are finished.

I can see advantages and disadvantages on both sides of the coin. We own our house~bought in 1992. It's in an urban setting that's decent for the most part. BUT our yard is HUGE and a pain to keep up. It was what attracted us in the 1st place b/c my hubby really wanted a dog. Well, Our 1st son came along in '93 and we have no dog yet. And with kids and other obligations, taking care of the huge yard is a major pain in the butt. What was once pretty nicely kept gardens is now a big mess of weeds and crabgrass. Our furnace is about 20 yr. old, garage needs some serious painting, driveway desperately needs revamping, etc., etc. And my husband is terrible about helping with things around here, and I don't have octopus arms! So I'm kicking myself big time for being the one who was so gung-ho about living here in the 1st place. We have 1204 sq. ft. of living space, which is getting cramped w/ our 2 growing boys, and debt up to our eyballs. AACK!! We want to sell and rent a townhouse. But I don't know when that'll happen. SIGH........

Could you all help me come up with something snappy to say to people when they pester me about buying?

We're going to a cookout at my DH's cousin's new house this weekend and this guy is the WORST, knows everything about everything, and I can hear the advice already.

I just want to shut him up. I feel a mini rant coming on --- Do they think we're idiots? Like, "Yeah, buy a house huh? We never thought of that!" If we could we would so shut the F up. Would that bring the cookout to an end?

So frustrating!

Quote Originally Posted by Selah
    Could you all help me come up with something snappy to say to people when they pester me about buying?
    I always say..."Buy? So we can be owned by a bank? No thank-you"!

**The way I see it, it's nobody's business why we rent, but it's much cooler to make it seem like renting is our number one choice**

Quote Originally Posted by Selah
    Rent the movie French Kiss and memorize the short monologue of Meg Ryan's charactor's would-be sister-in-law. Something like: "i would never buy a house. You think you own something, when really, it just winds up owning you. And then one night someone forgets to put out their cigarette and it all burns to the ground."

-Jera

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Ads