View Poll Results: How much do you pay for rent monthly?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • under $500

30 21.74%
  • $501-700

34 24.64%
  • $701-1,000

35 25.36%
  • $1,001-1,300

15 10.87%
  • $1,301-2,000

10 7.25%
  • over $2,000

5 3.62%
  • Nothing, I live with my parents

9 6.52%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    We pay 850 (utilities included) for a 1,000 square foot three bedroom, two bath in Madison, WI. For my area of town that is a good deal, most one bedrooms on my street run 1,000. It has off street parking and free laundry in the basement too.

In Boston we paid 1,300 for a one bedroom with no parking. You also get paid more in Boston, but I think if I did the math our apartment now would take a lower percentage of our income than it did in Boston.

I know "they" say that rent is only supposed to be 1/3 of your monthly income, but I've never lived anywhere where that was even possible unless the neighborhood was unsafe and you had five roomates.

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by brdgt

I know "they" say that rent is only supposed to be 1/3 of your monthly income, but I've never lived anywhere where that was even possible unless the neighborhood was unsafe and you had five roomates.
    This is such a good point brdgt! I don't know how they came up with that formula - anyone know such things and if it's possible anywhere?

Our rent is about 1/3 of my boyfriend's after-tax income, but he's an engineer. My pre-tax elementary school teaching assistant income wouldn't even cover half of it!

I can't imagine what the parents at my school do with their three and four kid families when mom stays home with the kids! House payments have got to be worse than the rent we've got, which isn't a picnic by any means...

I live in a two bedroom, one bath basement apartment (a duplex split into four apartments) just outside a mid-sized city in a neighborhood and we pay about 1/4 my husband's salary for rent. No, he doesn't make a whole lot of money. I think what we're paying is about average for the city. Water is included, but electricity is not.

$830 for a large 2 bedroom in a really lovely victorian house. That is actually a pretty good deal in this area; you can find 2 bedrooms for cheaper but they're in crappier areas/buildings.

gulp. new york city. loft in ghetto. about $1600 including the outrageous utilities. not worth it since i have to go to a whole other borough for groceries!

Before we got our condo, we paid $1060 a month for a 2 bdrm, 1 bath in the northern virginia/dc area and they were going to up the rent another $100 at the beginning of the year. I will admit, there were cheaper places in the area we looked at, but I didn't feel quite so safe in some, and didn't feel like commuting for over an hour in other places.

Our last apt. was a studio, aprox 700 SF, $525 a month plus utilities, dirt frickin cheap!! But the street was a total ghetto, more than once I came home only to see the cops had blocked the street off and wouldn't even let me walk up into my building because of gun action (I'm sorry to scare you, it didn't effect me at all, and never felt unsafe, just inconvenienced)... now we have a condo and our monthly condo fees are $235...

Quote Originally Posted by Selah
    Quote Originally Posted by brdgt

This is such a good point brdgt! I don't know how they came up with that formula - anyone know such things and if it's possible anywhere?
    I think that's another factor in why we have such an incorrect measure of poverty, actually. As long as the U.S. government doesn't acknowledge that housing takes up a bigger chunk then they say, then they don't necessarily have to raise the poverty line.

Anyway.
    Where I live, we have some of the lowest property tax in the U.S., and the cost of living is fairly low (I guess), so my mother pays 600+ on this house. However, when we used to rent the house, it was about 750. This is a three bedroom, two bath house. With a huge yard.

I kind of wonder how much this house would cost in a comparable neighborhood in a bigger city.

Not only do I pay big $$$ rent, this apartment complex charges my cat rent, too. Yep, $20 per month for something they call "Cat Rent". They had a move in special whereby they gave me the first month free; but no such deal for my cat. Very odd . . .

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads