View Poll Results: How much do you pay for rent monthly?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • under $500

30 21.74%
  • $501-700

34 24.64%
  • $701-1,000

35 25.36%
  • $1,001-1,300

15 10.87%
  • $1,301-2,000

10 7.25%
  • over $2,000

5 3.62%
  • Nothing, I live with my parents

9 6.52%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I've lived in Manhattan for the past 7 years and I've become almost completely desensitized to the cost of housing. I pay between $1300 and $2000 for a room in a two bedroom apartment (at 10X18 w/ high ceilings, a private half bath and walk in closet it's not a bad set up by NYC standards. But still.) in a "cool" neighborhood (LES) in a "cool" building and I almost feel like I have a deal. I can walk to work, I have a great deli across the street that has fresh produce and fresh-ish bread (which is rare) there's a Whole Foods opening near by and I can walk to just about any shopping area I'd want to visit (even to Williamsburg).

But then again? Damn. I cannot wait for the real estate market to ease up. Apparantly there's a crash a-coming in New York that (according to legend) will slow down what's been the non-stop skyrocketing of housing costs.

2. # ADS

We own and we are paying about $1,300 a month for our mortgage on Cape Cod. Two bedrooms, one bath, very small single family house. It's part of a nice little subdivision that was built in the seventies and has a lot of established trees and quiet.

We have a relatively high mortage because it's a fifteen year mortgage. Most people nowadays are going for twenty or thirty year mortgages.

We could *probably* rent a comparable property for around $1,000+, but it wouldn't be in nearly as nice a neighborhood. And we wouldn't own it in another dozen years.

my friend and i might move to this apartment, and our rent would be about 220 each, and that includes utilities. it's a 2bed1bath with wood floors and arched doors and windows. exciting!

$530 for a 2 bedroom in Evansville, IN. It's right in the middle of the city, or what I consider the city - the shopping area...a block away from the mall, 1/2 mile away from new shopping development...etc. It's a huge apartment too.

We were at my brother and sister in law's apt and it was a 2 bedroom, but so tiny compared to ours, and they were paying $150 more a month...the stuff like the carpeting, kitchen, etc wasn't "better" stuff either. It's about in the same area, but it's in more of a suburb area. (this is a small city)

I love our apt though. My husband walks a whole 3 minutes to work, and we live literally 30 feet from the building my mom works in :) Plus, Michael's is w/in walking distance, and a Jo-anns will be too, sometime soon. =) hehe

I pay $650/month for a one bedroom in a duplex in a nice area of Saint Paul. Landlord pays heat, water, and electric. My rent is a little less than a third of my monthly income. I think the square footage is 750.

It's a pretty sweet deal, I don't want to leave!

Oh my!!! I couldnt imagine paying the rent that some of you pay!! How do you eat!!? We own our house and our mortgage is $515 a month for a 3 br, 1 bath and we have a 1 car attached garage with about 1/2 acre. Im assuming that the jobs have to pay a whole lot better than what they do in my rinky dink town to be able to pay out that much?

Own in College Town, in the Best Elementary School catchment area. Monthly mortgage+ escrow( insurance, taxes,etc.)= $740. Gets me 1200sf of Century house with good schools, big trees, and crown moulding.

Quote Originally Posted by MRSM103
    Oh my!!! I couldnt imagine paying the rent that some of you pay!! How do you eat!!? We own our house and our mortgage is $515 a month for a 3 br, 1 bath and we have a 1 car attached garage with about 1/2 acre. Im assuming that the jobs have to pay a whole lot better than what they do in my rinky dink town to be able to pay out that much?
    As a secretary at a well known ivy league school in Boston I was paid more than most professors get paid in the United States. Rent was still a good percentage of my income, but living in a large city also has advantages that many, many people are willing to make that sacrifice for.

Some jobs also have insane salaries, but some areas right now are going through giant inflated price bubbles that are way out of whack. I was reading a magazine this morning that mentioned places from the traditional NY or San Francisco to suburbs outside of Phoenix (which is supposed to be a real "hot" real estate place suddenly). Until this past year, the county I live in was the fastest growing city in the US and with the population influx prices have just sky rocketted.

About a year and a half ago before we bought our current condo, we looked at some new townhomes that were going for $400,000 (still out of our price range, but sometimes it's fun to look). Now they are expanding that neighborhood and the same townhomes are going for a little under a million -- and get this: they're already sold out and construction hasn't even started yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Selah
    Quote Originally Posted by brdgt

I know "they" say that rent is only supposed to be 1/3 of your monthly income, but I've never lived anywhere where that was even possible unless the neighborhood was unsafe and you had five roomates.
    This is such a good point brdgt! I don't know how they came up with that formula - anyone know such things and if it's possible anywhere?
    As far as I understand it, the 1/3 rule was accurate back in the thirties when the monthly food bill was the priciest expense a family had. Housing was cheap and easy to come by, and 1/3 of a decent salary could have you living in style.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads