View Poll Results: Are those so-called "premium" pet foods worth it?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely.

5 13.16%
  • It depends -- some of them are, some of them aren't.

22 57.89%
  • The super-premium ones, not at all -- but you should shell out a little extra for a good-quality food.

8 21.05%
  • Nope, not even a little bit -- you've been duped by the pet food industry, xuli.

3 7.89%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cat food

I think "expensive" is relative with cat food anyway.

I buy 20 pounds of Hills Science Diet for my cat, maybe 3x a year at most. For 20 pounds I pay my vet less than 50 bucks. Do the math, and you'll see that it works out to 41 cents or less a day to feed your pet something decent.

Think about how much you spend on your own food, maybe 50 bucks a *week* including restaurant food. Though they're not the same, how much do you restrict yourself to "cheap" food? If you just bought a few less convenience items, you could afford to give your cat something much better, no problem.

Some cats are fine with the cheap food, they are little survivors, but that analogy of eating Burger King every day is right on.

Sorry to get all preachy. It's just evidence of how important my cat is to me...

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by researchasaurus
    Sorry to get all preachy. It's just evidence of how important my cat is to me...
    Not preachy at all. I've always been adamant about not feeding him anything less expensive than Iams (which is actually comparable in price to Science Diet, but not as convenient since you can't get Science Diet at the grocery store), but since I'm refusing to buy that now, I wanted to know if it would be better to "upgrade" or "downgrade." This is all very, very helpful.

And, Stella -- thanks for your very thorough response too!

Careful...

I love my cats very, very much, and they eat purina indoor cat formula.

-Jera

Gatsby and Mozart get Nutro's Natural Care. I've tried giving them something with absolutely no corn in it (Gats has a mild skin allergy to corn), but they won't eat it. The Natural Care makes them very shiny and they love it.

The two main reasons we buy more expensive cat food: It's better for the cats. And really, cats eat less when they're being fed better-quality food, so even though you have to spend $20 on a bag, it will last you months at a time.

I do admit that they get wet food, cheap Fancy Feast, as consolation prizes when they have to go to the vet's office. They love that stuff. They also love edamame, but they don't get that very often at all. (Mostly when they're too cute with the begging to resist.)

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC
    They also love edamame, but they don't get that very often at all.
    Hee hee. Aslan loves spinach and lettuce. He goes nuts for the stuff when I'm making salads, way more than for meat. I think it's because he's an indoor-only cat though, and cats are supposed to eat a certain quantity of grass. So I always leave him a few leaves.

Of coures, this is the cat who just obligated me to call my car insurance company, because he took it upon himself to eat the most recent insurance bill. Sometimes I think he'd be happiest if I just left a pile of shredded paper in his bowl ...

It was kind of hard for me to find the specific brands people have told me about where I live.

Basically you can just look at the ingredients.

-magnesium and ash causes blockages - usually the bag of food will say "ph and magnesium controlled" or something like that
    - Avoid meat by-products - some kind of meat should be in the first three ingredients listed
    - look for natural preservatives
    - If you have a..."puffy" kitty try to find a food that doesn't have corn, it'll help w/ weight control. :)

The only one I found where I live is called Exclusive...it's got all this information printed on the front of the bag too. The only thing is that it has corn - and I have one "puffy" kitty and one skinny cat...so we just have to exercise the "puffy" kitty a little more to make up for it. :)

It's definitely worth it to spend the extra money. We fed my mom's cat Cat Chow and then all of a sudden he was spending 5 minutes in the litter box trying to pee...you could see his tail shaking. He would whine a little sometimes. Then the next day (when we were going to take him to the vet) he was SO lethargic. It happens so fast that a urinary blockage becomes really serious from when you see the signs. And then all the expense from the vet bill. =P

Quote Originally Posted by JeraAndJune
    Careful...

I love my cats very, very much, and they eat purina indoor cat formula.

-Jera
    I had a cat that ate Cat Chow for all her life and she never had any digestion or urination problems. Maybe it has to do with what the cat starts out on and is fed the most. I also read that if you are changing the cat food, don't just do it straight away. Mix the food a little more at a time until the cat's just eating the new food.

my cat loves meow mix and won't eat anything else. i'd hate to get my finicky baby hooked on food that's more expensive than mine :)

honestly, i think it depends on the cat. we had a cat that lived at least 15 years on a friskies diet. then i had the trader joe's only cat. a weird cat that ate raw onions. mama kitty got nasty poo from meow mix but okay with everything else. just like people. some health nuts drop dead of a heart attack while jogging at the age of 40. some old men who smoke and eat salt pork every day can still hold a broomstick in two hands and jump over it in their nineties.... the best advice i ever heard was to check out the first ingredient. if it's corn meal, they'll poop more. if i sit there and obsess about what kind of meat is going in there i'd barf. but what would your cat be eating if it was in the wild or feral? surely not filet mignon!

i know this thread is about cats.. but i dont have a cat (yet).

when we picked up our puppy the breeder had been feeding her this organic food, so we just kept the dog on it.

at her recent vet checkup, the doctor was amazed- due to the fact that she has remained the same weight(a healthy 12lbs) and her teeth are perfect. apparently, miniature schnauzers have weight and teeth problems regularly.
    all we can attest it to has been her food, and the fact that we portion her food out and everything..

so yeah, i think their diet has a lot to do with their health and quality of life.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads