View Poll Results: Are those so-called "premium" pet foods worth it?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely.

5 13.16%
  • It depends -- some of them are, some of them aren't.

22 57.89%
  • The super-premium ones, not at all -- but you should shell out a little extra for a good-quality food.

8 21.05%
  • Nope, not even a little bit -- you've been duped by the pet food industry, xuli.

3 7.89%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: cat food

Quote Originally Posted by stella
    it's usually a bad idea to feed neutered male cats cheap cat food. they tend to end up with horrible urinary tract problems.
    Thanks for pointing that out Stella

Our cat-friend Tony gets Eukanuba Lamb and Rice ($18 a bag, lasts for about 45 days). We tried to feed him some organic wonder food and he screamed at us everytime we fed him until we found above mentioned food. We had noticed that if he had a "cheaper" brand of catfood, say...Friskees, he acted like a crack-head, wanting to be fed everytime he saw a human. He is now his "correct" weight and his coat is nice and shiny.

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by xuli
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC
    They also love edamame, but they don't get that very often at all.
    Aslan loves spinach and lettuce. He goes nuts for the stuff when I'm making salads, way more than for meat. I think it's because he's an indoor-only cat though, and cats are supposed to eat a certain quantity of grass. So I always leave him a few leaves.

Sometimes I think he'd be happiest if I just left a pile of shredded paper in his bowl ...
    First, my kitty LOVE lettuce too! He won't touch fish, but loves lettuce, I though he was the only one!

Second, I have suggested this too! Just filling the bowl with dust bunnies and paper bits would make my kitty happiest. He eats all that stuff off the floor, so maybe I should put it in his bowl!

Okay - seriously though, I give my cat the Nutro Natural Choice - Max Cat/Indoor formula. He is so sleek and shiny. He loves it, and has no health problems. I guess this is a super-premium????

This was never mentiond - but I give him Britta h2o in a stainless bowl... (and teh h2o get changed about 3x's per day) I an confident that there are no paristies living in the water.

I love Allistaire - what can I say!

Aslan loves spinach and lettuce. He goes nuts for the stuff when I'm making salads, way more than for meat. I think it's because he's an indoor-only cat though, and cats are supposed to eat a certain quantity of grass. So I always leave him a few leaves.
    funny how they choose their "greens," isn't it? my sister's cat goes crazy for bananas, and one of my guys favors our potted cacti, spines and all.

grass is primarily important as an emetic for cats - it helps them get rid of swallowed hair and excess food. that said, when i worked at an SPCA pharmacy, most of the really old (20 yrs and up) cats got a regular supply of veggies from their people (julian, a gorgeous 25-year-old tabby, ate boiled carrots with his dinner every day).

as for the premium food debate, it can be rough to wean a super-finicky cat from the cheaper stuff if it's been their primary diet for a long time - but the extra work and expense is certainly worthwhile. in addition to urinary difficulties, additives like ash can cause severe kidney damage - which usually isn't diagnosed until the cat's already a senior, and then it's irreversible (though treatable). unless a kitty repeatedly refuses the gradual introduction of healthy food (that above link from about.com is great for brand listings), it's ALWAYS worth it to make the switch.

my cat's a spaz.

since he doesn't let us brush his teeth (and i have to get them cleaned by the vet each year) i've fed him dental food, and he's long-haired, so i feed him hairball control. all science diet.

here's the kicker: he SWALLOWS all of his food WHOLE. zero effectivity on the dental food, but the hairballs aren't as bad as when i have fed him other things. then again, in the spring we get him a haircut since he sheds faster than he can eliminate. plus it looks hilarious.

my mother parted with her favorite male cat a couple of years ago due to a urinary tract blockage (2 to be exact), and the loss was incredibly painful to the whole family, and it kills me that if we knew that if she was feeding him something else, it would've kept him around today.

thanks so much for explaining the ash content/urinary blockage issue!

I have always fed my cats fairly cheap food. Occasionally changing brands. They have liked everything that I have brought home to them. They have had no health problems.

Reading this thread made me feel like a bad cat mom- especially someone's comment about feeding your cats the equivalent of Dorritos. I read all of the info I could find on about.com and immediately decided that I need to feed them better. I can totally afford to buy good food for them and feel terrible that I haven't.

So- I went to the local feed store and bought a bag of Nutro. One loves it, the other will not touch it. So, I went back and bought another bag- this one California Natural. The second cat still will not try the new foods. I am shocked. I just expected them to get excited about this food the way they have about the other cheap kinds.... should I keep trying the premium brands? Does anyone have a recommendation of a brand that he might respond to better than the two that I mentioned? What do I do?

Quote Originally Posted by insistal
    The second cat still will not try the new foods. I am shocked. I just expected them to get excited about this food the way they have about the other cheap kinds.... should I keep trying the premium brands? Does anyone have a recommendation of a brand that he might respond to better than the two that I mentioned? What do I do?
    When changing my cat's food, I always do it gradually -- mixing a little bit of the new food in with the old food and slowly increasing the portion of new food over a week or so -- and that works best.

As for specific brands, I hate to recommend Eukanuba because it is owned by Iams and they have a disgusting record on animal testing ... but my cat went crazy for it when I was unknowingly feeding it to him.

What I'd really like to try for my boys is this food that Whole Foods carries (not sure of the name) - it's frozen, looks like a Jimmy Dean sausage package. You have to thaw it and cook it but it's all organic and it's mostly meat. My husband, though, is appalled at the idea of cooking for the cats, so they're stuck with the Nutro. Fortunately they like it.

My cat had all kinds of urinary troubles--we had a couple of infections, and then we started him on a prescription diet provided by the vet. It's not very expensive ($40 for 20 lbs.) and he looooves it. And (knock on wood) he hasn't had any urinary problems since.

Quote Originally Posted by sewpunk

First, my kitty LOVE lettuce too! He won't touch fish, but loves lettuce, I though he was the only one!

Second, I have suggested this too! Just filling the bowl with dust bunnies and paper bits would make my kitty happiest. He eats all that stuff off the floor, so maybe I should put it in his bowl!
    My mom's cat loves lettuce too - but only the green part, he won't eat the white-ish parts. He even knows the word. You can whisper it and he perks up like "did I just hear that!??!" lol then starts meowing and purring like crazy. It's gotten stuck in his throat once, since it's so papery, so I always make him meow after feeding him a piece to make sure it's gone down.

One of my cats loves eating stuff off the floor too. She'll be casually walking down the hallway, see a little piece of CD wrapper or scrap of paper, stop...eat it...and keep walking to whatever she was doing. She likes to lick things too. Like it's not enough for her to sniff something, she has to taste it. She sniffs it for a minute, then licks a couple times. Faces, carpet, walls, table, shoes....anything ;)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Ads