Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MASK OF INSECURITIES, VICIOUS GAMES OR ALTERNATIVE TO EMAIL?

wow. myspace is totally scarying me, conceptually. it's either a A) modern tool of complete boredom, B) a guarantee that one makes sure they are still friends with others, C) a communication device. i wonder extensively about the people who see each other everyday yet comment on each others shit (myspace, lj or otherwise) constantly, even when they are sitting right next to each other. i've used myself plenty to keep in touch with friends who are not close by and networking for my projects and such - i always thought that was what myspace was for!

also, this baffles me so any advice on the subject would be helpful: what about the groups of friends where people will comment a lot on SOME profiles yet never say a word on a singular person's - i'm beginning to think any kind of OVERBOARD displays and then the minus of one is a pretty major "FUCK YOU". so QUESTION: is it safe to say that is obvious exclusion? is that a "fuck you"? can myspace be used to be catty?

who knows if i'll understand human beings! it births questions about the nature of communication and friendship. maybe it's no wonder that people i am REALLY actually good friends with don't leave testimonials (with the exception of one funny guy friend & the occasional singular shout-out - it's nice to let people know you are appreciated, but que?). it's nice that some may not have to do so in order to be friends (yet doing so in itself wouldn't mean horrid things). perhaps it just reminds me of how sXe kids get tattoos to make certain they'll stay devote - are we all just really trying to hang on to honest intentions? my busy ass just wants to keep in touch and find bandmates/zinesters/crafters/teatime partners/etc. there's some fucking psychology going on to this shit...

any thoughts? i don't know lately why it's all of a sudden become a circus to me.

2. # ADS

whoa! haven't checked out myspace because i pretty much feel the same way about friendster and the so-called "friends" i have, which is sadly very few. granted, just about all of them are people from my past. but i looked at it as a tool to reconnect or maintain some sort of connection with them but it seems that the rest of them are just in it for some sort of freakish popularity contest and have no interest in any contact other than going off on ego trips with their profiles and testimonials (and only one of them for me, and that was just from an old acquaintance. most of my "friends" have MANY. glad i didn't leave them any to stroke their obviously massive egos) very seriously considering posting a big "eff you all, i'm out" note on the message board and cancelling my account. but i still have one tiny strand of hope that someone wanting me for more than another number will come across me there.

I like myspace...but friendster seems wierd to me.
    Myspace at least is like a huge community, and you can blog and stuff. Friendster just had a really wierd vibe to it that I hated, and thier search engines suck.

I don't think that most people conciously over comment on other peoples profiles.
    They probably just don't know what to say on some peoples, or they just forget, and read it but never comment. I don't really see it as some sort of popularity thing.
    I always do that. I generally don't comment much anywhere, because I forget to, or I don't feel like it. It has absolutely nothing to do with how much I do or don't like someone.

This has become a huge time-suck for my teenaged sisterkid; she and her friends spend hours every day checking out each others myspace pages and updating them and commenting; it's become a vital social tool for them. In her circle, there doesn't seem to be any malice going on. From where I'm standing over her shoulder, it seems to be a lot of if you comment on my page I will reply with a comment on your page. Lots of social reinforcement of the yes we are friends variety.

i think you're over-analyzing an online community ;)
    i'm on myspace and i comment heavily on a few people's pages for these reasons:
    *i see them a lot and i continuously have comments to add
    *it's a good friend with whom i share a lot of inside jokes
    *it's someone who comments just as much on my page (i always make a response comment on people's pages)

reasons i do not comment (or do not comment often):
    *they have never commented on my page or have never sent me any sort of message
    *it's someone i am sort of friends with

if i don't like someone, i wouldn't bother to add them as a friend...

but maybe that's just me and this is the year of "nice illy" (trying to keep that inner bitch on a leash)

I've been on my space for about a week, after succumbing to peer pressure. So far, it's helped me reconnect with a friend I thought I had lost for good. I've listened to some new music (it's a great forum for bands.) I've learned a little more about what some of my not-so-close friends are into.

I've also been approached by some random men who are using this as their personal dating service, but I guess you have to expect that.

There's definitely a high amount of ridiculousness on there, and it IS a huge time-waster. All in all, though, I find it pretty fascinating because I enjoy observing the social dynamics of various online communities.

I use it as a journal. I make all journal entries "friends only," i make no friends, and made my locale anonymous.
    I'm no fun.
    =c)

-Jera

I'm sure myspace is all things to all people, but I tend to agree with lecandypoprock...it seems like a huge ego trip for some people. I try really hard not to look at certain people's pages, because I don't want to "up" their views. I know, so childish!

I have reconnected with a few people, but for the most part (in the group I hang with) it seems like a big popularity contest. And, really, I can't stand the endless bulletins of question lists. It's more than I care to know about a lot of people.I only joined because it seemed as if I was the last person on earth without an account. I feel so dirty!!

I use it as a blog. Im moving several hundred miles away for school so I WONT be seeing these people but I still want to be in their lives. I dont want to be completly forgotten.

I use it to promote my business, and as far as that goes its been fantastic. I can search for local people so thats nice. I can see how it might get wierd though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads