Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sandra Day O'Connor leaving Supreme Court

Well, one of my worst fears will come true - Dubya gets to choose a Supreme Court Justice...

Sandra Day O'Connor leaving Supreme Court

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, the first woman appointed to the Supreme Court and a key swing vote on issues such as abortion and the death penalty, said Friday she is retiring.

O'Connor, 75, said she will leave before the start of the court's next term in October, or when the Senate confirms her successor. There was no immediate word from the White House on who might be nominated to replace O'Connor.

It's been 11 years since the last opening on the court, one of the longest uninterrupted stretches in history. O'Connor's decision gives Bush his first opportunity to appoint a justice.

"This is to inform you of my decision to retire from my position as an associate justice of the Supreme Court of the United States, effective upon the nomination and confirmation of my successor. It has been a great privilege indeed to have served as a member of the court for 24 terms. I will leave it with enormous respect for the integrity of the court and its role under our constitutional structure."

The White House has refused to comment on any possible nominees, or whether Bush would name a woman to succeed O'Connor. Her departure leaves Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg as the only other woman among the current justices.

Possible replacements include Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales and federal courts of appeals judges J. Michael Luttig, John Roberts, Samuel A. Alito Jr., Michael McConnell, Emilio Garza and James Harvie Wilkinson III. Others mentioned are former Solicitor General Theodore Olson, lawyer Miguel Estrada and former deputy attorney general Larry Thompson, but Bush's pick could be a surprise choice not well known in legal circles.

Another prospective candidate is Edith Hollan Jones, a judge on the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals who was also considered for a Supreme Court vacancy by President Bush's father.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/07/01/oc....ap/index.html

2. # ADS

This is completely catastrophic. It's also completely predictable, but it's more or less the end of the world. Or at least the end of America as a free country.

Renquist will probably resign, too, but that's not such a big deal because it will just be replacing a conservative with another conservative. O'Connor resigning changes the entire balance of the court.

Yeah and add this to the fact that Rhenquist is ill with a typically fatal form of cancer, and we're evem more screwed.

I'm going to start stockpiling birth control pills.

I don't really blame her. She's sick; her husband is sick; she's past the age when most people retire. I blame the American people for electing a guy who's going to appoint a total asshole.

I blame the American people for electing a guy who's going to appoint a total asshole.
    Totally. I can just imagine him standing around salivating over her place on the bench, fantisizing about what conserfvative nut job to put there. Shudder.....

This is bad, bad news. :(

This is bad, bad news. :(

Quote Originally Posted by sallysunshine
    I don't really blame her. She's sick; her husband is sick; she's past the age when most people retire. I blame the American people for electing a guy who's going to appoint a total asshole.
    I do. She voted for Bush in Bush V. Gore because she wanted a Republican to name her successor; that's not really a secret. Then she waited until his second term because of fears that stepping down during his first term (the one where he wasn't actually elected) would look especially scandalous.

But I'm still deeply heartbroken. Rehnquist wouldn't be a loss -- he's never voted my way on anything. But O'Connor is one of the few real moderates out there, and the country needs people like her on the Supreme Court.

And there's no way Dubya is going to pick anyone as good as her.

(pissed mode on) Fuck you Sandra, just fuck you. (/pissed mode off)

This is going to be a real test for Bush. He has a choice. Nominating a viable moderate would be the correct thing to do and would win him back some badly needed poll ratings.

That said, he's not really good at tests so I'm not optimistic.

I'm really starting to wonder why I'm living in a pissant go-nowhere country when I could be enjoying personal freedom and respect a little further north. Canada anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by xuli
    She voted for Bush in Bush V. Gore because she wanted a Republican to name her successor; that's not really a secret. Then she waited until his second term because of fears that stepping down during his first term (the one where he wasn't actually elected) would look especially scandalous.
    That doesn't make a lot of sense, given that neither she nor anyone else had any way of knowing that Bush would be elected for a second term. If she'd really wanted a Republican to name her successor, she would have risked the scandal and stepped down when she knew a Republican would be in office. The way I heard it was that she went for Bush in Bush V. Gore because she thought it would be bad for the country not to know who the president was going to be, and then she refrained from retiring because she didn't want a less-than-totally-legitimate president whom she basically appointed to choose her replacement. This time around Bush was really elected, so it has more of an air of legitimacy about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads