Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fired? Yeah, well, your mother.

I was just fired from my job, somewhat unfairly and with lame excuses that have little or nothing to do with me. I'm trying to keep a light heart about it, but I can't help but want to do such things as draw unemploymentn and contact the better business bureau (trust me, I'm not in the wrong for wanting to do THIS, I have real valid reasons).

Is it wrong to want to get perfectly legal "revenge" on some place that fired you? I won't go into details, but SO MUCH FOR CRAFTY JOBS.

I'm terribly angry. Not that I got fired, but the Boss's excuses for firing me were unfounded.

I don't know what to do other than to have righteous indignation and meanly humorous. Ah, well.

Please share your first job firing stories. Or any job firing stories. They'll cheer me up because I know everyone here rocks.

2. # ADS

If you can collect unemployment, do it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with trying to get the extra income after that.

There is also nothing wrong with being angry over it, or any of that.
    Just try not to badmouth people, or burn your bridges, because you will need them for references.
    Just realize that it probably wasn't you, it was most likely screwed up managers/bosses etc that caused your being fired.

I actually can't draw unemployment; that's just another little fantasy. I only worked there for a week before she had decided I hadn't "connected" with the job, which is perfectly untrue. I worked as hard as everyone else, maybe even harder, and she just FIRED ME. She did hire too many people, though, and I think she used me as a scapegoat.

I'm just so completely bitter because it's not like I got this job for some pocket cash or money to buy beer or something. I have to pay a balance by august for college, and I'm just so completely enraged because I was not fired for anything I had done wrong.

Oh, well. Thanks for caring!

sorry you got fired, but think about it this way, would you really want to work in such an environment? If paying bills by august is your goal, i'd do temping, it pays pretty well and is easy, and save the evenings to make crafts to sell on ebay :)

good luck!
    jt

I can commiserate. It's difficult to not feel bitter. It took me a year and a half to get over my first (last - I'm a homemaker now) firing. I think the worst part of it is the knowing it wasn't you or that it was something your employer might have had in mind when you were hired. In my case I was hired for what was advertised, discussed, and presented to me as a full-time position. Three months later I was fired without a reason - Michigan is an "at will" state so the employer doesn't have to give an excuse.

What I later came to find out through some investigation and secretive lunch meetings with ex co-workers is that the position was non-existant. I should have known this when they told me they didn't have a desk for me (they had to create a space for me) - except I was supposedly replacing someone that left a few weeks prior. They created it to get some extra work done to qualify for an ISO rating and they didn't want to pay the fees to hire a temp. Can you believe that? It was my great pleasure to make them pay for my unemployment. Unfortunately it really left me raw for the corporate world, and after a great deal of discussion with my DH I became a homemaker (I hope to get my business going after my son is born).

What I think your employer should have done was given you a indefinite layoff especially if they hired too many people. Firing always implies something you've done wrong or against company policy. It hurts. I hope that you find something better to help get you right back in - I don't recommend spending as much time as I did being bitter about it.

Good luck...

soap -

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It is always hard when the employment ends and it's not your own choice - feels kind of out of control.

I agree with what has been said - try not to take it too personally as much as possible - as you said there wasn't really a legitimate basis for it based on your work. Also to see it as maybe a blessing in disguise - that you only had to be at a place that's having major troubles for a little while. I know that is hard to do in the midst of feeling like you want to be resentful about what's happening - I know I don't always want to hear about the "silver lining" right away - but maybe after a little time goes by you will realize it was for the best after all.

I'm hoping that this frees you up to find a better situation that you truly like and that appreciates you.

in many states, there is a "no cause" policy. in other words, the owner doesn't need to provide a reason why they are letting you go.

then there's the "last hired, first fired" method that usually happens. even if you are doing a great job, if they need to layoff, they generally will chose the person they are least attached to.

since you've only been there a short time, don't even bother putting it on your resume because it will only cause more questions than you need.

good luck in your search...

Getting fired sucks royally. Especially when it has nothing to do with you.
    I worked at an IHOP where i used to live a while back and on a certain evening i was feeling particularly crappy and stayed up all night puking and dry heaving. Understandably, when i was still waking up at 9am to be sick, i called my work. I told them at 9am that i wouldn't be in at 4pm. Plenty of slack to cover my shift and all. I thought i was being a really good girl.
    Next shift i'm scheduled, i show up and my manager tells me i'm fired.. for a no-call-no-show.
    WHAT?!?!
    I have never felt so helplessly enraged.
    And the jerkhead who fired me was the one i spoke to. The district manager. He had no recollection of me calling at all whatsoever. And i can't imagine what he would have against me. I worked 10 hour shifts 5 days a week.
    I've never been fired otherwise.

JeraSue

Heh, thanks everyone. I feel sort of sheepish that I posted about this anyway, after having said something about how I didn't want to be one of those people who did that a lot because I felt it made me too self-pitying. Oh, well.

It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't keep dreaming about getting fired, except in my dreams I'm metting up for a big BBQ at a lake, and my boss is there being overly friendly to me, and I see my writing teacher and say, "OH MY GOD I WAS SO FIRED BY THESE PEOPLE!"

It's actually made me somewhat depressed and lethargic, so I'm currently trying to get rid of that feeling. I find that reading mindless books and eating oatmeal seems to help.

If it's any consolation, this kind of thing has happened to me more than once.

A few years ago I got a job at (what I thought was) a really cool company that did exactly the kind of work I'd been dreaming of getting back into. They said they were so impressed with my credentials that they created a job specifically for me where a position hadn't existed before. Everyone was so nice and friendly. We all went out to lunch together all the time. The boss told the whole staff in a meeting how good I was at my job and how glad he was to have me on board.

And then the boss sort of disappeared into meetings and other responsibilities. Since my position was new, I had no real supervisor to explain things to me. I got some advanced training on specific technical aspects of the job, but no one ever showed me the basics of day-to-day operation: Do I take care of this thing before handing it off to someone else, or do they take care of it first, then give it to me? Am I really supposed to be dealing firsthand with customers? I was never clear on what my actual job description was, and neither was anyone else.

One day the boss called me into his office. It was the first time I'd spoken to him in a couple of weeks. He said I "wasn't working out" and he had to "let me go." No warning, no reason given—the last feedback I'd gotten was what a good job I was doing. I'd been there less than a month.

I did not take it well. I felt depressed and worthless for a couple of months, and then finally just went back to doing temp work because I couldn't stand the thought of investing so much of myself into a "real" job only to get cut down like that again. Three years later I'm just now starting to crawl out of that spiral, thinking about looking for full-time work that pays me what I'm worth.

I'm not setting a good example for you here, and I do hope you don't end up the way I did. Just saying you're not alone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads