Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Three Good Things

The blog of this guy I sort of know mentions an exercise called "Three Good Things". Even when your life is rotten, it goes, you're supposed to find three good things that happened to you that day. This guy is usually a really negative person - his snarky comments are funny, but he never has a single nice thing to say - and it was wonderful for me to read about things that actually make him happy. My life's been pretty rotten lately too, so I think it's time I try it myself.

1. A regular customer of mine lost his coffee cup. He seemed pretty upset about it, so I bought a customizable tumbler with a paper insert and decorated it with some pictures, his name and the name of his usual drink. I left it for him at our shop the next morning for my coworkers to give to him, even though I wasn't working there. They said he was overjoyed to get it - and the next day he brought me a dozen roses (he said they were for all of us, but even my manager said they were really for me).

2. I'd miscalculated the amount that my student loan payment would be taking out, and it turns out I have $100 more in the bank than I thought I did. We still can't afford to pay our bills right now, but this means I can get myself some lunch and maybe even splurge on a bottle of wine tonight.

3. I've just joined a new craft group that meets both online and in person. Our first get-together is in a couple of days - I'm so looking forward to having real-life friends to motivate me to make stuff! The girl in charge of it has met me once, and apparently she thinks I am The Coolest Person Ever. Now I must live up to that.

2. # ADS

my 3 good things...

What a great idea! And how nice of you to give your customer his own mug! Very cool! My life is good, but I like the idea of being consciously grateful. Here are mine for today:
    1. On the way to work this morning, I found a fortune from a fortune cookie on the ground. It reads: "HANG IN THERE, WITHIN SIGHT IS THE RAINBOW." I thought that was beautiful! I sort of collect fortune cookie fortunes and turn them into greeting cards and other things, but this one I think I will hang onto-but have photocopied it to share with others!
    2. Despite amassing enough rejection letters to paper our walls for my stories, I have a wonderful husband who believes in me and believes that someday I will be writing bestsellers. And we had our first "weekend" together in over 2 months on Thurs/Friday & spent a day swimming-kayaking-picnicking together.
    3. I'm excited about having discovered this wonderful forum full of fabulous creative crafty people! I was looking at some of the creations on esty and on this site this morning and got tears, I was so excited about all your creative energy!

I've been feeling really blah lately, so this is good.

1. The number one thing making me feel blah is that I am really really discouraged about my job hunt. Even though I feel like I'll never find anything good, my dad is positive that soon I'm going to have a super-important job, and he told my half-brother that when he retires he's going to sharpen pencils for me when I'm off in Sri Lanka or Cambodia or somewhere.

2. One of my best friends is also being a cheerleader for me. She always tells me that she's proud of me, and I always tell her not to be too proud until I have something to show for my college education. But she tells me that just finishing college is good enough reason for her to be proud, which is something I always forget.

3. I know that my parents love me and I will be able to stay with them and mooch off them until I find something better.

It's been part of my bedtime ritual with my kids to ask them to name the best thing and the worst thing that happened that day. When they were really small, it was always stuff like "the dog ate my cookie" and "dad took me to the park" kind of stuff, but when they started school, it became a really cool way to keep in touch with what was happening during their days.

This whole weekend has been kind of crappy, so thinking about 3 good things that happened will be very therapeutic. Now, let's see....

My daughter came in a little while ago, plopped herself down on my lap, gave me a big kiss and a hug, and said "see Mom, I can still fit on your lap!" She's 10.

I found a pheasant feather in my backyard.

I spent about 20 minutes running around in the rain with my kids this afternoon.

P

This is such a cool thread!

1. My husband got offered a well-deserved and long-awaited promotion today.
    2. With this promotion means a sizeable raise making our dream of having a baby in the near future, a reality.
    3. Sold my old clunker of a car for a cool $850 today when I thought that the most I could get was $500.

3 good things

ok...this is gonna be hard 'cause I have had 1 hellacious sucky day (starting with a dead kitten in the front yard- and ending with a dead blackbird hanging from the spiral wire fence where I park at work- I mean it's been a BAD day.)

ok. (deep breath)

1. Fabulous Mr. Chef in the kitchen making me chicken enchaladas... how I love a man in the kitchen!

2. Anticipation of the very long, hot, fragrant soak in the tub.

3. Knowing I can handle the next 4 workdays to come...no matter what goes down!

Wow! This is so much better than those random "Good things" threads you see at message boards. I've actually been touched by everyone's post.

This actually reminds me of my senior year of high school. I was very stressed and would write out a list of "Why this week has sucked" and compare it to my "why this week has rocked" list. I wouldn't stop adding to the second list until it was longer than the first, even if it felt forced.

So, on a tough day, here goes:

1.) The summer is half over for me; I only have one month and ten days until I return to school.

2.) I had the house to myself so that I go to read poetry aloud to myself, which always makes me feel better. This also ties in with the fact that I love my collection of books--that's always a plus.

3.) Yesterday I got to finish reading the Harry Potter book, as well as go see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory that night. My inner child was satisfied and put aside a few tantrums for awhile.

a very timely thread indeed, as i have had a bad, bad attitude and need to let go of some stress.

1. enjoyed a delicious cup of coffee in town this morning while sitting by the creek in town chatting with my daughter in her stroller. it was especially tasty because i quit caffiene a few weeks ago and really missed it and will go back to herbal tea tomorrow, but the break made the coffee so much more special.

2. delivered the blueberry peach pie i baked and carved with a starry sky pie vents to my friend in exchange for the fresh tuna he gave me last week, and the look on his face just made my day. (unfortunately, the half of the one i baked for us got eaten by a neighbor's cat when i left the pie in the car with the windows open.)

3. the biggest, reddest dahlia the size of a cantelope was in full bloom today when i got home and it reminded me of my grampy who spent his spare time tending lots and lots of dahlias.

1. My long, long depression seems to be lifting. Maybe it was as tired of me as I was of it.
    2. The district attorney made the con man give me back the $$$ that he duped me out of.
    3. I'm in a good play, doing a role that was written for me.

1. I have taken on a job that is forcing me to confront my fear of deadlines, and I am doing this is a very conscious way. It has been a really important process for me.

2. When I am done with the above job, I have a list of custom orders that keeps getting longer! I feel like my design style is going to actually gain some recognition. Not big recognition per say, but at a rate I can keep up with. I am feeling equipped to handle this version of success.

3. Everyday I realize that I am more in love with my husband than I was the day before. Really! really! This is after 15 yrs. together. I feel so happy about that!

This is all stuff that I was joyful about in one day, so I guess it works for this great thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads