i got a new kitty today!!!

i just had to share this with some fellow cat lovers (i know not all of you are, but a LOT of you are)
    i decided my kitty, spike, needed a new brother so he woulnd't be so lonely while i am at work
    i went to the shelter today and asked which cats were least likely to get adopted quickly, and they said the black ones and pointed a few out
    ((i have this horrible guilt when i go the animal shelter and i want to take them all home, i feel so bad knowing that they may one day be put to sleep... which is why i asked for a kitty who was less likely to be adopted))
    i adopted a little black and grey kitten that has more fur than body weight!!!!
    i am so excited!!!!

i just hope the new kitten and the older kitten get along...
    does anyone have any tips for introducing a new cat into the family?
    (the older one is declawed and neutered... will the younger one have a field day of clawing him to death???)

thanks for any info
    and i'll post pics of the kitten tomorrow, in case anyone's interested in seeing him :)

oh and any suggestions for names would be appreciated... they call him smokey, but i think i want to call him bruiser

thanks again!

2. # ADS

meeeeooooowwww! i totally want to see pics as soon as you have them.

i was thinking about adopting a new cat for catter to play with/hang with while i'm gone all day. she was a mother once, about 5 years ago, so i think if i brought in a kitten she would make it her own, in a way. plus, she loves little dogs (my mom has a bichon puppy and catter is quite intrigued by her!).

so sad to think about all the little ones who are "less likely to be adopted". i go to petco a lot, as it is on my way home and across from the farmer's market, and tear up at all the sweet kitties. i want them all! but my boyfriend is not up for another. : (

i just got a new kitty, too! his name is cola and my room mate's mom's cat recently had a litter.

anyhow, my room mate has a cat who is a year old. as far as introductions go, i just recommend being very cautious! we brought cola (the kitten) to sarah (my room mate's cat) and let sarah smell him and sarah was pissed at first but curious! she hissed a few times and even tried to swat at him, but i would be a little worried if sarah didn't act weird!

also, make sure to be extra nice to the other cat, so the cat doesn't feel alienated or unloved with the new edition.

Kitty intros can be tricky. I have not had good luck at it. But then I have two 5-year old half Siamese cats that are brother and sister. Siamese like to be the only cat in the house. Mine get along because they've been together forever. Let me tell you about how I recently went through two additional cats in the space of two months.

I brought home an adorable little gray tabby cat, Mysti, that my neice got from her work--Mysti rode in to town in the engine of a coworker's truck. My normally sweet female, Keiko, hated her and chased her all the time and bit her ear drawing blood. I put up with it for two weeks before offering Mysti to a guy at work who had just lost his cat to breast cancer.

Then not a month later I "stole" a Siamese cat, Khanji, that was hanging around work. He's a real sweetheart--very loving and low key. Things were going fairly well after a month, when he and Beau got in an awful fight and he bit Beau's cheek and the bite got infected. And geeze you should have seen the fur flying. Literally. Oh and lest I forget he was the cause of me backing into my garage door because he always made a mad dash for outside and I hurried a bit too much one morning. But the good news is now I have a garage door with windows in it. Anyway, my neighbor took Khanji and everyone is happier. My neighbor has a bunch of kids and Khanji seems to like that. Siamese just have to be the only cat in the house. I've learned my lesson and I'm sticking with the two I have forever.

But back to introductions. Keep the new kitty in a separate room and let them sniff each other through the door. Then after a few days of that let the new kitty out for longer and longer periods until you feel like they can be left alone without supervision. It's best to keep separate litter boxes since you are supposed to have one per cat anyway. The main thing to remember is to do it gradually and be sure to give everyone lots of attention so no one gets jealous.

Did the kitten come home on a blanket or towel? You can try putting the blanket down for Spike to roll around on. Oh, and brush them with the same brush - Bruiser first, then Spike, then repeat. The idea is to get their scents mingled, especially to get Bruiser's scent on Spike, since Spike is the resident cat who's being invaded.

When Mozart came to live with us, we had to spend a full day with them in separate rooms. My husband was in the bedroom with Gatsby, I was in the living room with Mo, and they swatted at each other under the door. We changed rooms about every forty-five minutes or so. Just remember that it takes a bit of time, and that Spike may act a little angry and aloof with you for a bit but he'll go back to normal.

What fun! And I think Bruiser is an ADORABLE name, especially with Spike!

I don't know much about kitty introductions: my mom and I always just let the cats figure it out on their own and crossed our fingers. There were never any injuries, just abit of hissing at the cat and cold shoulder treatment for us from the resident princess (Kiara).

As far as names for the kitten goes: I think Bruiser is PERFECT.

I just introduced a new kitty into my household. My older cat will not get along with adult cats, so I was really careful. I kept them in seperate rooms and put their food dishes next to the door so they could smell each other while they ate. I then switched their rooms after a few days so that they could smell each other. They are now living in the same quarters, but my older cat is handling the new kitty well. They eat together and chase each other around. I don't think that my older cat loves the kitty, but it is tolerable.

thanks everyone for your awesome suggestions!!!!
    here's a little update:
    the final decision on the name is... brutus (my roommate said it once and it stuck!)
    now, for the introductions... i just let the two cats work it out themselves... i stayed home with them for a few hours to monitor for any aggressive behaviour and they seemed all right. granted, my older cat (who is already semi-psychotic) has this need to show dominance and pounce on baby all the time, but as soon as the wee one cries a little the older one calms down and either leaves him alone or just snuggles with him. plus, brutus has figured out that spike can't fit under the couch, so at least he has a hideout.
    and i'll post pics soon, my batterries died mid-photoshoot :(

my only complaint is that the older cat now ignores me in favor of the baby!!!!

Remove Ads

Ads