my brain was around here...somewhere

ugh-I've been feeling so frustrated and uncreative lately. I used to be able to make anything but now... I don't know if it's family life, depression or what? I've lost my artistic mojo. I used to be cerebral and draw really deep artistic expressions from my inner world but that voice is now lost in a world of dirty dishes and endless laundry.

Have any of you been here before? What did you do to pull yourself out of it?

2. # ADS

Creative blocks are like writers block. They exist in your mind, but you reinforce them by worrying about them.

Don't think, just do... Start doing something, anything, it doesn't have to be good crafting, just headed that way. Maybe replace the buttons on something, or glaze the lightswitch covers, or make muffins with odd bits on the pantry shelf. Break the inertia.

For deeper funk, go visit a museum or to an art show, even a small gallery can help. I also like woods or beach walks, or anywhere to observe nature.

Whenever I get in moods like this and can't write or something, I either play lots of freecell (ugh, bad bad me) or hearts (I'm not helping the situation), or I do something very productive like cleaning.

Sometimes, though, you do really have to just force yourself to do something. In my case, I would keep journals so that I'd have to get something down.

But as far as artsy/crafty stuff, maybe you could keep some sort of journal about your plans to do somethign or other. I know that if I write something down that I'm going to do, I get so excited about it like it's the best thing to ever happen to my life.

It could be a list like:
    *Buy boxes to decorate to hold craft supplies in: buttons, confetti, markers, altoid tins

And then on the next page, doodle. Or draw a sketch of some change in your house you want. You know, get all INSPIRED! Make yourself be inspired. I've done it tons of times. It's sort of like going swimming even though you're too lazy to but finding out you're glad you went, anyway.

Thanks gals. I'm still kind of depressed but am slowly starting to get my groove back. After i wrote that the other night I went to my basement and looked at all the things I had made over the years. It was kind of bittersweet. But then I was, like, hell I've got to do SOMETHING. So i mixed up a bunch of plaster left over from remodeling and tried to cast this huge rusty chain. (It was there and I felt it matched how I was feeling) I wanted to then break it and mount it on wood. It didn't come out but just doing something made me feel a lot better.

The next day I spent 4 hours at the barnes & noble "library" reading about art, crafts, and feminism. Then I went to the beach for a long walk. I had to force my husband to watch the kids (basically I just left with the car and told him I'd see him before dinner) I think if I didn't take that time things would have quickly spiralled downward.

Thanks for taking time to help.

love, jess

i go thru that - to break thru, just do it!

clear some time and sit down and start on something. or maybe you can go to a local art walk and look at the work of other people to inspire you to think "i can do that!!" and then go home and do your own version, which will probably morph into something new, cool and unexpected.

don't think - do!!!

i am stuck in a rut big time right now, which normally means 'i need a vacation.' however, i don't get one til july, so i've been trying to jumpstart my creativity.

it's not so easy, but i recommend going for a walk and focusing one particular sense (ie, touch, sight, smell) thereby forcing yourself to get out of the visual. of course, you don't want to get hit by a car so you have to pay some attention, but doing this always helps me to remember that i can't always see the forest for the trees. i rely on one thing too much and don't see/hear/smell/touch all the amazing things around me!

if you don't feel like going for a walk, do something that you wouldn't normally do: pick a cd you haven't listened to in 10 years, get out a cookbook and whip up something that sounds gross just to see if it's yummy, give yourself a manicure, you get the point... which is to do *anything* outside of your norms (for me it's turning on the tv and knitting!) , allowing yourself to actually use your brain rather than depend on the autopilot!

x

Remove Ads

Ads