Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

cat question-- strange behavior!

im having cat issues, and i know the ladies on this site are probably the best resource for help!!

my cat has developed some strange behaviors lately... my main concern is that he is REFUSING to drink from his water dish. before you ask, i will say that i clean the thing religiously. i dont believe in giving animals water that i wouldnt drink myself. i keep it clean and filled with fresh water. he still refuses to drink from it.

ive tried cool water. iced water. tepid water. he still refuses.

before you start worrying-- dont. he is getting PLENTY to drink.... FROM THE TOILET. he dips his paws in and licks the water off, winnie the pooh style. this totally freaks me out for obvious reasons, so ive started closing the seat. now he scratches at the seat when its down.

when hes not drinking from the toilet, hes drinking from OUR water glasses. in an attempt to interest him, ive replaced his water dish with a glass. he appears to be responding to this. my fiance thinks he is interested in everything that we do and touch... which is why he is fascinated with the toilet and our dishes.

does anyone elses kitty do this? any tips?

thanks!

<3 eli (and her kitty, karate chops)

2. # ADS

Our female kitty loved to drink water from our cups from the time she was a wee kitten! We have a ton of pictures of her doing this, because it sent us into hysterics every time! She'd stick her head so far into the cup, it looked like she had no head! Just a cup w/ a little furry body attached!

My two are fifteen years old. One will mostly only drink from the toilet. The other prefers the dog's water bowl, or any glass of water I leave standing.

I've given up leaving a bowl of water for them. They have their own desk top fountain that they sniff at but don't drink from, and have access to the waterfall from my fishtank's power filter.

They also like to drink the droplets from the sink after I've used it. They used to like the same in the bathtub, but not any more for some reason.

I don't know what I can do about it, except make sure that the toilet, the sink, the fish tank and the desk top fountain are as clean as possible without harmful detergent residue.

maybe it's the detergent smell? or is it filtered water? that's funny. our cat will drink from any water source so she's not particular. sink, toilet, tub, water dish. wherever there's water she's drinking it.

My oldest cat sometimes drinks from his water bowl, but he greatly prefers running water from the bathroom sink. He'll jump up and bitch at us until we turn the water on for him. We worried at first because our building is old and almost certainly has lead pipes (we use filtered water in their bowl), but Fizzgig loves the water and still seems perfectly healthy, so we just let him drink.

This same cat once taught another cat how to drink from a glass. The late, lamented Floyd always tried to stick his head into our water glasses and could never reach the water. Fizzgig saw him doing this, and it was as if he said, "No, here's how you do it. Watch me," and stuck his paw in and licked the water off. Floyd copied him (though he was still likely to stick his head in first most of the time).

If you're worried about your cat drinking from the toilet (I would be - just 'cause that water looks clear doesn't mean that everything got flushed), keep the lid closed. After that, if the cat is getting enough water from sources other than his bowl, I wouldn't worry about it. Cats are desert critters and don't need a lot of water. When they're thirsty, they'll find it.

If the cat drinks from a "people cup" you could leave him out a special cup of water just for him on a table somewhere, but keep it in the same place all the time.
    We have a cat that loves drinking out of the old coffee mug, and my mom keeps it topped off with fresh water.

They also have these water dishes that have a fountain in them, so that the water moves. Your cat might like one of those.

We also have a faucet outside that we let drip very slowly into a water dish. The cats love to drink from the faucet that drips. They both really like running water.

My kitties drink from their water bowl - however when I had an aquarium one of them used to exclusively drink aquarium water. I thought this was kind of gross (ew fish poop!) but then I figured, hey, if the fish are fine in there then I'm sure the water is ok (kind of like the canary in the mine trick).

As to the toilet, my guys will occasionally drink from the water if the seat is up, but mostly they just splash around in there and get water droplets everywhere - kind of unpleasant when you have to pee and you sit down without looking! I try to keep the lid closed. They also like to knock things in (like my toothbrush, tweezers, etc). Sigh.

When I got rid of the aquarium they started drinking from their water bowl - leaving me to believe they WILL seek out water from available sources if they are thirsty. I keep the bowl out and clean all ways, and try not to use too much detergent when I wash it in case they are sensitive to the smell/taste.

Oh yeah. They also do the thing with licking water from the bathtub after we get out of a shower, and sticking their paws in glasses to check out the contents. GROSS! We have to be careful not to leave glasses around, because they knock them over.

Also, my "new" kitten Automne (shes one year old now) had a habit for a while of making "tea". She had catnip toys that she would bring to her water dish, drop in, swish around, and then take out and repeat. It made her water all green, like tea! BIZARRE. I had to change the water constantly, and accidentally stepping on one of her soggy teabag toys was the ultimate in ickiness. But she's given up on that behaviour, thank goodness!

del

Ha! "Winnie the Pooh style" That is so perfect.

We had the same problem. My cat wasn't drinking out of the bowl at all. But he didn't drink out of the toilet, he drank out of the bathtub. Also we would have to POUR water on his back so he could lick it off. That turned into pouring the water into the water bottle cap so he could drink out of there.

Our solution was to get a completely new bowl. We were using a metal one, and since I don't like to drink water out of glasses, only plastic cups, I was thinking it might be a similar situation. So we buy a new plastic dish, and he gradually started drinking more.

First, which is obvious, don't let him drink out of the toilet. Try a new bowl made out of something different. Try one of the running water bowls too, some cats love those, they might be expensive though.

another thing we did to get ours drinking was since he used to meow his head off if we were standing while holding a water bottle (which he thought meant we were going to pour it on his back) we decided to pour a little of that water into his bowl. Or at least act like it. So he would associate "Yay I want some of that water!" to, "Hey, they poured the good water into my bowl, I'll drink out of there" lol.

Oh and it's not the different water and that our cat didn't like the taste of tap water and preferred bottled, I always refill bottles with tap water. I've had to do this because of the cats too - Loki LOVES to stick his paw (and turn his head sideways) into a glass full of water and knock it over.

my cats pretty much only drink water from the tap (they stand in the sink and meow until you turn the water on a little), the dog's dish, and our ponds. my mom leaves a water bowl in her bathroom for when they're inside and nobody is home to monitor the tap for them. they also like it if you put a water glass in the bathroom sink and fill it up until it's overflowing, so they can drink without putting their face in a dish.

are my cats spoiled? do you think?

We got one of those misters that's a dish you fill with water and plug in--voila, mist somehow appears. The cat loved it. He'd climb up on the counter to drink out of it all the time. When we decided we didn't need a mister up all the time, he went back to his water dish. Every now and again, though, he finds the mister's storage spot and puts his head in, looking for water.

He also likes to lick the tub after we shower. :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads