Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Michaels & Buy Blue

Hey,

I was just doign some reading on http://www.buyblue.org (actually inspired by the Bust thread and the comment on Urban Outfitters anti-feminist politics, which google knew nothing about - but I digress).

Did you know that:

Michaels Stores currently has a 0% BuyBlue rating due to political contributions for the 2003-2004 election cycle. Michael's executives contributed a mind numbing $424,406 during the last election, solely to Republican politicians. Michael's does not have a political action committee.
    I know a lot of you Americans out there shop at Michaels, and I thought this might interest you, no matter what your political orientation.

I need to read more on buyblue.org!!!

del

2. # ADS

Very interesting. I stopped going there because their selection is horrible and they never have anything in stock, but now I can feel even better about going elsewhere :)

I wish that site had info on Hobby Lobby. While I generally think HL is similar to Michael's in terms of selection, when I want cheap yarn or the occasional odd craft supply I might go there.

However, HL is closed on Sundays with posted signs on the doors about staff needing the day for family and religious observation, and they sell mints at the checkout with bible quotes all over them. I don't think companies with moderate religious views do things like that in this era, so I can't help but guess that behind HL is some kind of conservative force. I could be wrong though.

I noticed that on Buy Blue too. I have seen a lot of very Christian items at Michael's lately too. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it just gives an idea of the demographic they are reaching towards. It would be nice to see other religious and cultural symbols too, is all I'm saying, not just one type.

I wonder about Joann Fabrics too, and where they stand politically.

oh, hell. i used to shop at Michael's a lot. but i've moved, and i'm not sure where ANY craft stores are here.

Quote Originally Posted by researchasaurus
    However, HL is closed on Sundays with posted signs on the doors about staff needing the day for family and religious observation, and they sell mints at the checkout with bible quotes all over them. I don't think companies with moderate religious views do things like that in this era, so I can't help but guess that behind HL is some kind of conservative force. I could be wrong though.
    This is the reason I don't shop at Hobby Lobby. (Not saying others shouldn't if they want to - I just find it really distasteful for business owners to push their religion on customers that way.) I've also heard (from someone who used to work there) that their stock- and bookkeeping practices are very sloppy, to the point that they can't properly keep track of their merchandise and much of it ends up being thrown away, rather than sent back to suppliers, if it doesn't sell.

That's too bad to hear about Michaels, since it's pretty much the only alternative. I shop there often for all kinds of stuff that I wouldn't know where to find anywhere else. Does anyone know of other craft-supply businesses whose practices aren't so overtly "red"?

i love buyblue.org!
    and wonderfully, joann gets a very positive rating. (100% blue)
    it's a great resource for shopping, along with responsibleshopper.org, which lists possible ethical issues with and positive actions of various companies.
    but beware...
    once you start looking up your favorite companies, you may never be able to shop there again (at least not without feeling extremely guilty). on the other hand, it's really exciting to learn that some places you already shop are really great companies (relatively speaking, of course). lowe's, for example, gets a 100% rating at buyblue.

Thats great about Joanns! I swear I looked there for it a while ago and couldn't find it. I love having Buy Blue as a resource when I need to shop at the big corps. It makes it just a bit easier. I do prefer to go to indie and local places for as much as possible though. But sometimes you just gotta shop at the biggies.

Thanks for the info!

Michael's has the best selection in my city, Hobby Lobby is okay. We have a Ben Franklin that is half empty most of the time :(

Ever notice how Hobby Lobby doesn't sell "real" Halloween stuff, it's just scarecrows and pumpkins. No ghosts or monsters. The only reason I don't like HL is because they look at us like we're stealing. Esp. my husband. When he payed w/a credit card they inspected the back of the card, his signature on the receipt and then asked for his driver's license. (The purchase was for like $4.50). BUT they didn't for the people who were in front of us.

We feel SO welcome there! :)

delgc -

Thank you very much for this info. Yet another case where get crafty folks have opened my eyes.

Not shopping at Michael's anymore isn't a huge loss for me - I second the fact that it's got pretty crappy selection (esp for beads. Hello???)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads