Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    In my current position it took them like 3 weeks to call me back for a second interview. After my first interview I was like 95% sure I had gotten the job. But as time passed I was not so sure ...

Afterwards I found out that for my positon there was one internal candidate from the same office, and another external candidate who had a lot more experience than me in the work environment, but no experience in the specific kind of work. I had short-term, specific experience. Part of the delay was because they had to carefully evaulate whether or not to hire or reject the internal applicant - politically sensitive in a small office. Also, they wanted to have the person with lots of experience in the office, so that was also a delay. But they wanted to hire me from the beginning.

The second interview was nervewracking because my confidence had been blown, but I was cool as a cucumber. I made sure to ask questiions, both as follow-up from the interview and independent questions. For example in the interview they asked me what I envisioned the job would be. At the end I asked if I had been correct, and if I had erred, where. I wanted to really fully understand the work. That also helped me with my negotiation of my salary ... It was evident that I knew what I was getting into.

Anyway after my second interview they made me an offer after like 3 days.

In other hiring nightmares, some positions have had a candidate chosen by the hiring committee and that sits on a HR clerk's desk for weeks waiting to have an offer generated. Sucks if you are the applicant waiting for the offier, but that's the way it is sometimes.

Don't stress! It won't help you get the job!

del

2. # ADS

I had a job that involved hiring - one of the things that would slow down the process was checking references. The business I worked for at the time had learned the hard way about that, so we made a point of contacting at least one place of employment and a couple of the references. We weren't interested in glowing reviews, just confirming that X had indeed worked for blahblah from x date to x date in position z. It was basic, but we could get slowed down by things like making the call to get "oh, you'll have to talk to Y, but Y is out of the office right now, can I have Y call you back?", etc.

My experience like everyone else's is that they never call back when they say that they will. So hang in there. One other thing that I have always done is to send a letter thanking them for the interview once I leave. It puts your name in their face again and adds a nice extra touch. Always works for me.

For the job i am in now - which was The Perfect Job a year ago - i was on edge for like a month waiting. I did in person interview and phone interviews, and they were up against a deadline. I didn't want to seem pushy so i held off calling. Then i sent the boss an email "just checking to see when you might have a decision, since i need to plan my life..." and i got a frantic voice mail from her - "we offered you a position and have been waiting for you to respond!"
    Yeah apparently she typed my email address wrong and i never got it.
    So it pays to be pesky. Wish i had sooner, would have saved me three days of agonizing not knowing...
    Good luck to you. A good job at something you feel good about doing is one of the greatest gifts. Its hard to appreciate sometimes, but it is so important.

Have you heard anything yet? My fingers are crossed for you.

No word yet. I called my dad (he's a semi-retired career counselor) for advice yesterday, and he said to wait until Monday to call again. So I'll do that, I guess.

My other big reason for wanting to know is that I'm going on vacation the 3rd week in August. And if I've gotten the job I'll want to make that vacation time part of my two weeks' notice - I'd hate to come back from my trip only to have to put in one more week at the coffee shop.

Things I know:
    - The guy who interviewed me is the owner of the company, so he's not having to answer to any higher-ups.
    - I asked if I should bring references and he said they weren't necessary, so he's not spending all this time checking references.
    - The guy who previously held the job is leaving for another job (hence the alleged "need to decide quickly"). I would be replacing him. It's a one-person department. I'm almost certain there is no internal candidate.
    - Out of 150 applicants, I'm one of 8 who got an interview. The boss made it sound as if I had more knowledge and experience than at least 6 of the others. (Was he just flattering me? Was there something personal outside of this that makes him uncertain about hiring me anyway?)

I guess I'll just wait until Monday. :P

actually, it sounds pretty good. You've learned enough that it could be he really wants you for the job, but is simply taking more time making a decision.

OTOH, ya never know what the hell they are thinking. I've had more than a few interviews in my life where I should have been the top choice and yet someone else gets the job. But I've also learned after the fact that there was someone else everyone believed would get the job given to me... So, who knows? It doesn't have to be logical, at least not in a way that means anything to you.

that's great you called! keep the faith. no news is good news. in my experience, they always called back with the good or bad news. and another thing, employers often have a "hurry up and wait" thing going on. they say they have to movie fast but really, they drag thier feet!

most important, stay positive, every little bit of good karma helps!! good luck!

oh i know how you feel! i interviewed last week at a local college. if i get the job i can get my grad degree for free! and become a teacher!!! i want it soooooooooo bad!!!!!
    i hope i get it and i hope i hear by the end of the week!!!!

Is there a happy ending yet??

Good luck, Tootsiecat!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads