Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: SUV Vandalism

OK, I confess: I have an SUV. But it's a little one (2 door Blazer - when I park next to, like, Expeditions or Suburbans, my little Blazer is seriously half their size) that seems to have fairly comparable gas mileage to my last car (Chevy Lumina). And I felt mostly OK about getting it, because I bought it used, which means I was not responsible for putting a new car on the road. And part of my motivation was to spend less money than I would have on a new car, so I could maybe transition into working at home in the not-too-distant future, thereby eliminating my need for a commute.

And vandalism is totally unacceptable. I mean, do these "activists" honestly think the SUV owners are going to smack their forheads and think, "Wow, this angry grafitti has really made me reexamine my priorites. I will go right out and get a hybrid tomorrow?". But I see where everyone is coming from. I live in the land of the ginormous, completely unnecessary 4x4 pickup. It's stupid. And Hummers... just... why?

I don't really know what can be done in the short term. In the long term, I think alternative energies are the best way to go, but who knows how far that will get with the current adminstration and the powerful oil lobby.

Alison, rambling

2. # ADS

Meandering off the topic slightly (and as a newbie feel free to slap me silly) but dh and I have been discussing this for weeks and haven't been able to find an answer.

Why is the US so unwilling to sign the Kyoto treaty? Here in the UK it's getting so obvious that the climate change is leading to something major, we're experiencing weather that we've never had before. Only a week ago we had a tornado in Birmingham city centre. We have no seasons anymore. The year seems to run along without a spring, summer, autumn and winter. We're having torrential rain in the summer, bright sunshiney warm days in winter. It's getting very scarey, we've had severe floods, a whole village in Cornwall was nearly destroyed.

We're a small island in the middle of a huge ocean, if nothing is done to stop global warming, the seas start rising because of polar ice caps melting there will be nothing left of the British people in a very short space of time.

If even the Chinese can see what is happening and respond accordingly when they are a communist country and should in reality not care what happens to us outside their country then why can the US government not start caring about the world too?

Well, I'm just going to say that I am all for the environment. I recycle, buy recycled and do my little part. But you can pry my Jeep from my cold dead hands. I LIKE it, I like driving it. It's reliable, Jeeps last forever, I have enough leg room in the back so that my passengers can sit comfortably where with my corolla adults had there knees in their chin in the back seat. I'm not going to pay 10s of thousands of dollars for a vehicle only a midget would fit comfortably in.

But I will also add that if Jeep ever makes a hybrid Liberty, I'm all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by moggins
    Why is the US so unwilling to sign the Kyoto treaty?
    The short answer? Big business makes more money when it's allowed to pollute the environment - or at least the businesses that line Bush's wallet.

From a recent New York Times:

Bush Administration Unveils Alternative Climate Pact

By REUTERS, July 28, 2005

WASHINGTON, July 27 (Reuters) - The Bush administration, which is pushing alternatives to the Kyoto accord on global warming, unveiled a six-nation pact on Wednesday that promotes the use of technology to cut greenhouse gas emissions.

The six nations, the United States, Japan, Australia, China, India and South Korea, will build on existing bilateral agreements on technology sharing to control emissions, but will not set mandatory targets.

President Bush said in a statement that the Asia-Pacific Partnership for Clean Development and Climate, which will be formally introduced in Vientiane, Laos, would address global warming while promoting economic development.

But environmentalists criticized it as an attempt by Washington to create a distraction ahead of United Nations talks in November in Montreal that will focus on how to widen the Kyoto accord to include developing nations after 2012.

The approach of looking to technology for solutions to global warming was emphasized by Mr. Bush at the Group of 8 summit meeting in Scotland when he called for a "post-Kyoto era." The United States, which creates the biggest share of greenhouse emissions, and Australia are the only developed nations that have not ratified the Kyoto accord. But Japan, China, India and South Korea have ratified Kyoto, which demands cuts in greenhouse emissions by 5.2 percent below 1990 levels by 2008 to 2012.

"As far as I can tell, there's really nothing new here," said Jeff Fielder, an analyst at the Natural Resources Defense Council in New York. He said that the bilateral agreements already served the purpose of technology sharing but that companies would not have an incentive to deploy it without a strong signal sent by mandatory limits.

"I think this is aimed at complicating the Montreal talks," he added.

Jim Connaughton, chairman of the White House Council on Environmental Quality, said there was no attempt to undermine the Kyoto pact.

And this follows on the heels of another scandal:
    Official altered reports on links to global warming U.S. climate research edited to downplay effects of greenhouse gases on environment

i'm not trying to step on toes, but does anyone remember that there was an ice age? and then global warming to melt all that ice? I'm not saying that our ozone and pollutant emissions aren't partially to blame, but nature has its own cycle. Our weather has been very steady for so long - it's only a matter of time before the climate shifts radically - as it did all those millions of years ago.

**edited for glaring grammatical error**

Alexia, maybe we should start a global warming thread, but it's very easy to say global warming's not a big deal when we live in places where it's possible to survive hurricane after hurricane. Or other changes in climate.

But think about the tsunami (not saying that had anything to do with global warming, I have NO CLUE) and how many people died unnecessarily. Climate changes and weather disasters affect impoverished countries much more drastically than here.

Floridians can just head on up north when a hurricane comes, but if you're in Cuba, where do you go?

Quote Originally Posted by alexia
    i'm not trying to step on toes, but does anyone remember that there was an ice age? and then global warming to melt all that ice? I'm not saying that our ozone and pollutant emissions aren't partially to blame, but nature has it's own cycle. Our weather has been very steady for so long - it's only a matter of time before the climate shifts radically - as it did all those millions of years ago.
    Well, from what I remember from Geology in college, yes, ice ages are a natural cycle, but global warming has accelerated that cycle to such a degree that unpredictable and dangerous things happen.

Not to mention all of the just plain regular unhealthy things that pollution causes.

**Moved to global warming thread***

*** moved to global warming thread***

del

Thanks for that post but what a load of twaddle, as if using natural gas is really the only other way, has he never heard of solar or windpower?

And what about all the other ways of running cars that many inventors have come up with but have been buried by the oil companies to make us believe that oil is the only power source. I hate to say this but oil, no matter how many gallons of it are being pumped every day is a non-renewable source and it will run out someday whereas the sun and the wind are always there and could produce enough power for the rest of our days with no ensuing pollution.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads