Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does my cat look fat in this? (advice needed)

hey fellow cat moms,

i have a quandary and am hoping for some feedback. my cats, chuck and jude, are currently on a diet of reduced / indoor formula dry food and split a pouch of regular-diet wet food each evening. this is a good thing because 1) chuck has been a pound or two overweight for the last year and 2) jude is a manx with three legs (his front left leg was amputated when he was a wee kitten, because he was crushed by a car before i found and adopted him at animal control). it's a given that jude will have leg problems when he gets older (he's 4 now), since he's putting ALL of his weight on the one (the manx is the big wheel of the cat world, if you will, and their oversized hind legs cause them to put a LOT of weight on the front ones under normal conditions), so i'm extra-careful about his staying at a normal weight (so as not to make it even tougher on him and blow out the leg sooner).

now i'm worried that he's getting too skinny. in april, jude looked like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cuttlef...in/set-663927/

...and now he looks like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cuttlef...in/set-663927/

so my question is, do i switch him back to the normal food? i'm worried that chuck will get large and in charge if i do, but maybe that's a better option than having poor jude get too skinny. they're strictly indoor cats and share bowls of food, so i'm not sure i could keep them on separate diets very effectively. is it better to have an overweight normal cat and a normal three-legger or a fit normal cat and a skinny three-legger?

the boys are due for a checkup soon, so a vet will be telling me shortly if they're healthy or not. i guess the big question is how, in the long term, i should balance their contradictory needs. i don't want either to be unhealthy, but i don't see any other way. help!

2. # ADS

Can you feed a mix of lite and regular? It's what I used to feed my cat to maintain his weight.

From the picture I would say he definitely looks healthier. Is he more active? Is his coat shinier?

I mix weight control and regular food for my kitties to help maintain their weight (around 10-11 pounds each).

"Birdie" on a string-type exercising might also help you to keep the weight under control. Indoor cats need to still pretend they're ferocious!

they are both as active as they can be in an apartment (LOTS of playing, especially chuck of the borderline chub - he fetches superballs!)...i think the trouble is that he takes advantage of free feeding, while jude is a nibbler. i'd put them in separate rooms for wet food if i could, but separating them from each other for any reason causes both to SCREAM BLOODY MURDER.

i might break down and mix regular food with the lite, though i know chuck will pack on a bit more. jude's life is hard enough without having to run around looking like oliver twist. but brdgt, you say you think he looks better now than in the first picture? hmm...

I have the same problem. One cat got sick and is still pretty skinny, the other is a vacuum with food (and everything else) and has turned into a little piggy. lol. I haven't figured out what to do except exercise the heck out of our little piglet. ;)

i have the same problem too. catter is soooo fat (about 17-18 pounds). she eats iams weight loss, but hasn't lost any! i excercise her with feather on a string, and laser pointer, but she gets lazy/tired and eventually just lies down.

its good that your kitties are going for a check-up soon. their doc should know best what to do. i'll do that with mine too! you've inspired me!

Oh my god!!!!!!!!! Those pix and your commentary made me laugh soooo hard!!!! And I'm not even high!

I agree with Erinina, wait and see what the doc says.
    I've always falsely believed that my kitty was not overweight, until
    I was shown by a vet what overweight actually is!
    Today she's a skinny-minnie, but is much healthier than she ever was before.
    I also think your kitty looks better in the second picture too, but
    don't take it from me. I ain't no vet.

Good luck!

I agree with the previous poster's...I think Jude looks better in the second picture, like it wouldn't be such a big deal for him to jump up onto a table. He just looks lighter and friskier (but that could be cause he's posing for the pic). In the first picture, it looks like jumping on a table would be a big hassle for him. I'm not a vet, but I think the diet you've got going on is good. Plus, it's summer, and kitties don't like to be big in the summer....it's just too hot with all that fur. Jude will probably put more weight back on in the winter anyway (oy, like the rest of us mammals).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads