Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: divination

divination

So, now that we're still in Harry Potter mode, what are your feelings toward divination? Of course this goes beyond tea leaves and arithmancy, but do you think certain people/practices really in tune with the extrasensory? Does the future give hints?

I'm personally wary of any tactics based on name or birthdate, but I've had psychic dreams, and I do think that some people can actually manipulate a tarot deck to mean something. After reading The Exorcist, however, Ouija boards are kind of a no-go (I /know/ it's fiction, but still). Now, I've never seen anyone go into a Sybill-Trelawney-worthy seer trance, but I'll let y'all know if I do.

2. # ADS

I believe divination is real. But I see it as a general guide. Getting too specific with it-doing laundry based on your zodiac-is unwise in my opinion. I've had both tarot and astrology readings that helped me understand myself better.

Quote Originally Posted by twilight
    I believe divination is real. But I see it as a general guide. Getting too specific with it-doing laundry based on your zodiac-is unwise in my opinion. I've had both tarot and astrology readings that helped me understand myself better.
    This is pretty much in line with my take on this. I am learning tarot (slowly), but I don't think it will allow me to see the future. It's all based on old archetypes, and I think it's more about helping you see connections of events in your life that you maybe weren't aware of before. And that will probably help you make good decisions in the future, but I don't think it "tells" you what your future will be. Also, with things like palmistry and astrology, I think there may be something to the idea that what happens in the universe that we are a part of can affect us as individuals, or that choices we make can be reflected in our body, but I'm not sure that all the existing practices are really helpful takes on that idea. Does that make sense?

Jeez, I am apparently very chatty this Sunday morning ;)

Alison

i don't really believe in much divination. i think the zodiac and tarot are good ways of letting people figure out thoughts and feelings they already have.

however, i think some people consider dowsing to be a form of divination, and it definitely works. most people i know who have had trouble finding a well have had to go to dowsers as a last resort, and it always works.

I was a professional tarot reader for a while, years ago. I don't read cards much any more, but still find the subject interesting (actually I'm thinking of making some crafts incorporating the cards themselves pretty soon).

My take on divination is pretty straightforward and non-superstitious. Images and symbols (as on tarot cards, but they can be other things too) remind us of things - ideas, people, experiences, etc. - that are relevant to our own lives. They could be widely shared cultural archetypes or unique personal memories. The layout of the cards juxtaposes these images in different ways. Suddenly two seemingly unrelated symbols are presented next to each other, and our mind makes a connection between the ideas they represent. We remember things we already know, but we see them from a fresh perspective.

As far as I'm concerned, "predicting the future" with divination is no more mysterious or farfetched than a meteorologist forecasting the weather. You're working with available data from your own subconscious (or someone else's, and you're responsible for asking them questions to draw out those newly-made connections). Putting together that information can give you an idea of what will happen if things continue as they have been, or how they might change depending on the actions taken.

My grandfather was a dowser. He died when I was 2, so I never got to see it done. Haven't tried it, either-maybe I've got a hidden talent.

After reading The Exorcist, however, Ouija boards are kind of a no-go (I /know/ it's fiction, but still).
    I hate to tell you this but I'm sure I read that the Exorcist was based on a true case of an exorcism on a young boy....

As far as divination goes I have met a number of people can 'see into the future' (or whatever you want to call it) and this leads me to believe that we all have the capacity to understand our world on more levels if we really want to - and most of prefer not to...

My experience with Tarot is that you generally should go into it with a specific question in mind, at least in the basic readings out of books. The cards get you to think about things in different ways because they are not structured by the way your mind works. Thus you can gain insight into you problems that you wont get to on your own. I have often though a science tarot deck is need for stubborn lab problems, but it would never fly with the profs.

LOL, chem, I think a science tarot deck would be brilliant. The heirophant could be a kooky old professor, the cups would be beakers, the wands would be test tubes, the swords would be pipette tubes and the pentacles would be grant money. LOL. Heck, it could work....if the dude that figured out benzene rings got the structure from a dream he had, then why not tarot?

Tarot has really worked in my life before. I was working with a very young witch (read that to be kick-ass pagan), and she was learning the Tarot, so she offered me a reading. I just asked what was going to happen that summer, and it came out that I was going to meet a very charming, manipulative SOB, be involved with him, it would suck, but I would grow from the experience. Of course, I scoffed at it, cause I figured my radar for assholes was pretty accurate. Nope, I met Alex that summer, was involved with him, turns out he was involved with everyone else, boys and girls. At the end of the summer, all of us got together, ex-girlfriend, me and the guy that he'd been leading on, and put it all together. It wasn't until then that I remembered the Tarot reading. And it was right, I really did grow from that experience.

I believe in psychic abilities, too. In fact, one just happened to me this week. I was waking up from a dream, and I thought "Oh, my medicine is here today". I have been waiting for my drugs from the pharmaceutical company to come into my doctor's office for about 6 weeks now (if you're really, really poor, the drug company will donate your drugs to you, for free). Well, I called my dad after I woke up, just to chat. He called me back and it turns out he was at our doctor's office (my whole family had a nasty flu). Long story short, my drugs had come in that day, and my dad was able to pick them up for me. I don't know how I knew they'd be there, all I know is that there are areas of the brain that humans haven't even begun to tap into.

My sister swares by this place for tarot and spells

I just used http://www.caringspirits.com because my sister had amazing luck with a couple of her spells: a love spell, and now a career spell. She also said that a Tarot Reading she go was right on. Because of course, my sis can't use anyone I would recommend, she's gotta find her own way. But it worked! I'm just glad she didn't waste her money, but of course, she's happy she's in love. Actually he's a cool guy, and I am happy for them. Read about her spell casting review HERE if you want.

Let me know if anyone else knows of other places that "REALLY" work for spells and tarot readings?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads