dorm decorating!

Hey, everyone. I realize that there are some ladies about to start, or have just started, their first year of college, and I had written a piece about dorm decorating, which I then posted in my getcrafty blog.

http://www.getcrafty.com/blogs.php?user=soapandwater

If anyone has any good advice, whether about dorm decorating or dorm life, let's post it. Maybe people will take the advice, especially stuff learned the Hard Way.

2. # ADS

The RA in me says..

1) Check with your own RA about what you can use to stick your prettyshinies up on the wall that won't destroy paint and/or drywall. Duct tape is bad. Masking tape is not as bad, but don't put it on your windows! (The sun bakes it on, and it's a pain to get rid of.) That sticky foam poster tape: eats drywall. I've had good luck with poster putty (the white kind) and those 3M things, they've never eaten what they shouldn't have.

2) Most schools will not let you paint your walls. If, for some reason, you decide to do this... contact them before move-in time so that they can help you get it back to its original state. (No joke, we had one girl who painted her single in textured purple paint.. and it ended up costing $600 to return the room to its original state.)

3) Be nice to your RA. (Even if you think they're a b*tch.) Because it makes their job that much harder if you're not. Plus, they'll generally know all the incredibly useful stuff that no one else really bothers to pay attention to. (Like.. we have guest rooms that you can rent out when your longdistance relationship comes into town, and you don't have to sexile your roommates for the entirely of break!) They'll be a great resource for you, so make friends with them.

May I just commend you for the use of the word "sexile"?

Another note on RAs: they're typically pretty nice but can get easily frustrated and overwhelmed when all of the people on the hall keep changing up roommates. Make sure you go through all the necessary protocol if you want to split with your roommate to make the process go much more smoothly and quickly.

I'm starting college (eeeeek) in a few weeks, and I really appreciate all the advice/ideas.

Seriously, though, what /would/ Alton Brown do?
    WWABD

i've managed to avoid the whole "dorm" situation, which is good because i'm a crabby hermit (a hermit crab?) and i need major personal space.

but i worked at Jo-Ann over the summer, and a lot of girls (no guys, strangely) bought things there to decorate their dorms.

polar fleece blankets or bedspeads were popular, sometimes in the school colors. two and a half yards of fleece will make a nice bedspead, and a yard and a half makes a fringed throw.

a few people bought sheer fabric to drape from the ceiling with tacks. i imagine this is probably against the rules, but it's an easy project to put up and take down if you need to.

On this website

you can create giant images to print out as tiles on a regular printer. So you can make posters from your favorite photos.[/url]

Awesome. I was just thinking about that site yesterday because I couldn't remember the link! Thanks much. My roommate, who is a huge cock rock fan, will love the possibilities of putting Tommy Lee or something over her bed in order to torment me.

Quote Originally Posted by stella
    a few people bought sheer fabric to drape from the ceiling with tacks. i imagine this is probably against the rules, but it's an easy project to put up and take down if you need to.
    I was able to drape a very awesome colorful tapestry in front of my window by using the tiles of the ceiling; if your ceiling has movable tiles, consider the possibilities of that. I knew two girls who put shiny paper on the tiles in a pattern. It was great.

Remove Ads

Ads