Fight Oxidative Stress? (WTF?)

I saw this ad in the paper this morning and I don't understand what they're on about.

"Protandim is a revolutionary antioxidant approach. A patent-pending formula of botanical extracts, it rejuvenates your body's natural defenses against oxidative stress - the cell damage caused by free radicals.

Protandim works by triggering your body's ability to generate more of its natural antioxidant enzymes. Each second, these enzymes neutralize millions of free radicals, the known source of oxidative stress."

It's on sale at GNC. And the dude in the ad is just a business man talking on his cell phone, wearing a suit and a trench coat, and looking up in the sky. It's bizarre.

What's going on here?

2. # ADS

I have no clue. I know if you drink tea it helps fight free radicals, and that's about as far as I'm going to go. I just don't feel like if I should start producing a bunch of antioxidants if my body is fairly healthy and no medical health professional has told me to do this. Maybe I have a dependency on medical professionals, but still. That's bizarre to me.

I say, drink more tea!

A future-medical-professional here!
    Free radicals are produced when your body breaks down chemicals or food, or is when you smoke, absorb UV rays, or are stressed. Remember chemistry class, how different elements have different amounts of electrons, and the electrons come in pairs of 1 negative and 1 positive? Free radicals have one or more unpaired electrons, so they're very reactive. They can damage tissues if you have too many, since they're so reactive. I think peroxide is the main one that damages bodily tissues. Antioxidants neutralize the free radicals, so they prevent tissue damage. Your body normally produces antioxidants, but it's good to eat extras, too. They're supposed to be good for stopping the effects of aging, prevent cancer, & other good stuff. Like you get wrinkles from tanning too much, because of the free radicals produced. I'm pretty sure that most scientists think it's true that antioxidants are very good things- I mean, I don't think it's controversial or anything, most people agree that antioxidants are very good for you & absolutely necessary. So the ad wasn't totally making crap up just to get you to buy their supplement! But of course, you can just get antioxidants from food- fruits & veggies are the best sources. I heard that kiwis & blueberries are the most antioxidant-rich foods, but I can't say for sure if it's true or not!

Blueberries definitely have a lot of antioxidants. They always make ME feel better.

i *highly* doubt anything that can stimulate your body to produce more antioxidants is available at GNC. it smacks of a load of crap to me.

there are lots of antioxidants out there, you cartainly don't need to shell out a bunch of money for a supplement.

Remove Ads

Ads