Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do small animals count as "pets"?

Ok, so I live in an apartment building that says "no pets." I'm not used to this apartment thing and, in your experience, do small animals count as pets? I mean, seriously, it's not a dog or a cat or anything. They don't poop on the carpet. I'm not used to not having pets. Gracias in advance.

2. # ADS

Well, what is it? I think that in general landlords overlook fish and perhaps lizards, but would consider a bunny akin to a cat.

Technically "no pets" means no pets, so if it's something you would dearly miss if the landlord decided to be a stickler you should consider looking for a more permissive apartment.

I would ask the landlord before you get a pet...I agree that a fish (especially a betta or a goldfish in a smallish bowl) probably wouldn't be a problem, but it would be pretty terrible if you got one, and then got in trouble and had to get rid of it.

Better safe than sorry!

It depends on what it is. If it's a huge fish tank, there are water damage issues that they might worry about. If it's a hamster, they tend to really stink, and if you let it out, it could pee on things.
    Generally I think that all animals count as pets. So you really should talk to your landlord before getting anything, because they might be really strict. If they aren't, then at least you know that it's okay, and don't have to try and hide it.

How big is your apartment complex? The bigger they are, the less likely they are going to be super strict and do inspections.

I think anything that can live in a large aquarium should be okay, like hamsters, guinea pigs, fish, or reptiles.

But if you are concerned, you can always anonymously call the management, ask about apartments and their small animal policy.

The complex is really big. There are 21 apartments, each with 4 residents per apartment in 21 buildings with 12 apartments in them, so over a thousand residents.

i was in your shoes and i bought a rat no problem. i just snuck him in, and when it was time, snuck him out.

if you do get a pet, research rats... they make such wonderful companions, especially if you want the personality of a large animal, but cant handle the size.

-- eli.xoxo

that's exactly what we did. We got rats as pets. Sometimes they mean no dogs or cats or anything else really big, maybe rabbits would be included. Sometimes it's fine to have something that you would keep in a 10 gallon aquarium sized cage.

We never asked about our rats even though we should have. Make sure you ask just in case. I would guess it's fine.

We also had a cat for about a year :X hehe. But other people had them, it was a small-ish apartment building (about 11 buildings) that didn't really follow ANY rules, so yeah. :) We never got in trouble, but I wouldn't risk it now.

We were in a complex that charged extra rent if there were pets. We had a guinea pig and asked if they would charge us and they said no. So, often they really only worry about bigger, non-caged friends.

I actually did have rats, loved them, but when I found out this complex didn't allow pets, adopted them out to a lady who seemed really excited to get three new additions to her rat family. And she had kids. I figured if I lived here a while and had no problem with my roomates or neighbors, i would get another pet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads