Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Weight loss Diets

Hi,

Just wanted to know what diets folks have been on and if it worked. Would you reccomend it to others?

I'm on my second day of the South Beach diet, it seems to be working. I lost 3lbs already in 2 days. I don't know if that's even safe.

2. # ADS

I lost 101 lbs on Weight Watchers a couple of years ago. After doing a little backsliding, I tried South Beach but it didn't do much for me-- I lost 6 lbs then gained 4.5 back as soon as I worked carbs back in. I'm back on WW again with a much better attitude, and it seems to be working again.

Not to be a naysayer, but I genuinely hope you consulted a doctor before starting the diet. the safe rate is 1lb a week. More than that is not really safe.
    Also, it's best to avoid "diets" and go for lifestyle changes. One of the most reliable way to lose weight is to figure out how many calories you burn, and then subtract 500. That's how many you need to eat in a day to lose 1lb a week. There are no magic foods. The reason that bad foods are so bad is generally because they're not filling and have lots and lots of calories, so you have to eat more of them to get full.
    I think that that's why weight watchers is so sucessful. It focuses on calories, being aware of portion size, and not eating a bunch of crap, but not denying yourself either.
    You have to look at the calorie to filling you up ratio. If something is small, has few calories, and fills you up, like veggies, fruits, protiens, it's better than say, a box of donuts that aren't really filling, but high in sugar.

I just am really wary of most anything that calls itself a "diet" and markets a whole bunch of stuff that goes with it, because honestly, the people aren't out to change peoples lives. They're out to make money. If they REALLY wanted everyone to be healthy, they would share the info for free. But they know that they can become millionaires selling it all.

Actually, the safe rate is about 2 lbs a week.

WW was successful for me about 10 years ago. Of course, my love of Krispy Kremes and such won out in the long run, unfortunately. I'm just about ready to do it again, though.

I'm doing wieght watchers with my partner. I recommend it. In the last 5 months, I've lost about 31 lbs. and he's lost 32. It an average of 1.5 a week, but you have your ups and downs.

My leader encourages eating whole foods, lots of veggies, lean meats, complex carbs, and whole grains.

It's definately a lifestyle change for me. I am actually aware of portion sizes now and conciously making healthier choices. It helped me with my big problem, eating when I was bored. I used to love grazing, lol.

Plus you can eat whatever you want. I think it's really sketchy to totally elimate carbs.

Carbs are important in metabolism. Complex carbs are best( whole grains, etc.). I've lost 40lbs since January doing low fat and portion control. No food is "off limits", I just try to make sensible choices and get lots of fiber/produce. Fat free dairy. Lean protein sources. Water is beverage of choice.

I hate exercise, but I hated my jiggle butt and Doughboy belly even more. Walking the dogs daily is great, as is walking kids to and from school. Water aerobics is fun and not sweaty icky. Biking with my kids works. Lift wts. while I watch tv. Pilates if I get up early enough.

BTW: if you need a chocolate fix, a teaspoon of mini chips is awesome and very satisfying. And, we're having homemade pizza for dinner ( whole wheat crust extra veggies) but after a jumbo spinach salad; fruit for dessert.

Good luck!

One more note about WW...I liked the group meetings. If you aren't into the meetings, do it online or just adapt a good eating plan yourself.

I'm an extrovert, I have a neediness for positive feedback. I like the cheerleader aspect of the meetings. Yes, I need applause for losing .5 lbs! Some people think the meetings are hokey or unnecessary. For me, they were vital.

I read the book "French Women Don't Get Fat". It emphasizes lifestyle change over dieting. That just seems smarter to me - and you don't have to stop eating foods you like. I think the ideas might also be known as the "chocolate, wine and cheese" diet which you can look up online if you don't want to get the book.

I'm embarassed to admit this but the "fat flush" has worked the best for me. I'm fairly fit and within my target weight but I tend to get those extra 10 lbs of puffiness and pudginess when I'm depressed, on the pill, on antidepressants, stressed out....which is pretty much ALL the time. The diet helps to refocus on good food and cleanse your liver.

It's kind of like the South Beach diet but not as strict- lots of fresh veggies, protein, some fruit, no sugar or caffeine for 2 weeks, plus cranberry water, psyllium fiber, flaxseed oil, evening primrose oil, and L-carnitine supplements

After that there is a 2nd stage with more foods allowed but restricted calorie intake then a maintance plan.

I lost 5 lbs for the 2 week part, then another 5 for a month on stage 2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads