Martha doesn't sew!

I need to rant and the only friend who I could rant about this woman to is out shopping for a new car right now. LOL

Okay, so this woman named Martha, who is the opposite of crafty, called me up as I was getting ready to leave for the weekend and in a roundabout way, asked me if I could teach her daugther how to sew.

The daughter is in 4-H and out of all the projects, picked sewing as her project. She had a pillow to make with the fabric and everything already supplied. She just needs to sew it. How sweet, but her mom(Martha) doesn't have a sewing machine or probably even know how to sew a button on. No relatives have machines either. Didn't want to buy a machine because she wouldn't know how to operate it, etc,

So I suggested Tuesday at 10 AM. Well, tuesday at 8 AM, after not sleeping all night, I just felt like total crap. If it was just this little girl coming over, it would be fine, but her mom is overwhelming and I would also have to entertain siblings. So I called to ask if we could move it to Thursday. She said she would call me right back. So I waited and waited and waited. She never called me back Tuesday.

Late yesterday afternoon(Wednesday), while I was out, she called and left a message which I didn't get. The message apparently said(didn't listen to it until just now) Thursday was okay and asked if I could call her back. She also stated that the project was due in FIVE weeks and she was feeling panicked. Since I didn't get the message, I didn't call her back.

Well, I again couldn't sleep all night and I had a major headache, so I was laying in bed still at 10:06 when my dog went nuts like there is someone pulling in the driveway. It's her and her kids!!!! Nick, my son, runs upstairs and announces this. I consider pulling a robe on and going down and scaring the little children, but I just told Nick to tell her I wasn't feeling well and was still in bed.

I'm sorry, but unless they are one of my best friends or my family (and even then not often), I don't show up at someone's house without confirmation.

Now my problem is that this lady is a bit ...uhhh..funny. Odd funny. As I mentioned above, she said she was getting panicky because the pillow project was due in FIVE weeks. 5 weeks? Is that all?! I am more like a 5 hours kinda gal. Especially for a project that will take ONE hour to do. Maybe 2 if I am teaching it to a first-timer. But Martha wouldn't understand that because she is...I can't even think of what kind of personality....almost autistic-like because if you change things, she freaks out. REALLY freaks out. Not hysterics, but more like a robot on the blitz. I saw it happen on this PTO project we were on.

The fact that she mentioned the 5 weeks and panic means I am going to have a tough time calling her up and apologizing for being sick and setting up a new time. I am tempted(because it would be much easier than having her panicked-self come over here on another date) to get her one of those little cheap, but usable, sewing machines they have at Target now and give her a Sewing For Dummies book and say "Have fun learning how to sew with your daughter!" It's not like she is stupid and can't figure it out. She has a degree in journalism. She can read! LOL *sigh*

Okay, i'm done ranting. For now. Wait until I call her back later. :)

If you lasted all the way to the end, thanks for listening! ;-)

2. # ADS

Dang, I wrote a friggin' novel! Oops! Sorry! :)

If it is worth it to you to pass on sewing skils to the little girl tell her you'll have to go to her place(while she watches YOUR kids!Ha!)at XXX time.

If not,tell her your really not up to it and the name of a good book and the library/book store.And mention the Target machines.

Ah, I just love people like that.

I have had in the past, what seems two distinctly different kinds of "non-crafty" friends-- one kind thinks sewing is no big deal, easy, brainless, but they don't know how to do it and they don't want to learn, but of course expect me to whip up something for them in my brainless spare time-- the other kind is *helpful* as in telling all their friends about my sewing ability, all of whom call me and expect me to bail them out of their stupidity.

As in "hi, I got your name from so-and-so. I bought this pair of pants on clearance last week but they are too long. Can you hem them?" "Sure, bring em over, $7." "But I only *paid* $5 for them! They were on clearance!"

Well that must suck. I feel for ya, may I recommend staples.

I've also done some pageant-dress sewing for little girls, that oh my, there's some psycho moms, freakin over everything, horrid. I avoid little girls pageant stuff unless I am really broke, cause those moms sound alot like the mom you're dealing with. Plus the whole Jean-Benet factor.

Don't you just love it when people assume you want to share your skill? I mean, I don't mind teaching people, but for them to *assume* really burns my butt.

heh at first i thought you were going to blaspheme about Martha Stewart :)

I don't know what to tell you about your Martha problem, but if I didn't know how to sew, or own a machine and I had a daughter with a project in 5 weeks, the last thing I'd do is wait until the day before and ask someone to bail me out, so she's kind of justified in being freaked out, esp since you had to cancel b/c you were ill and then you didn't get her message, she is being pushy but then again if you knew that was her personality before you said yes, you really have to just deal with her and next time politely decline.

good luck with it though, sounds like a tough situation

jt

Why must mom and her other kids come over? I'm guessing you're not an axe murderer and she can leave her daughter with you for a couple of hours. `-) I would make clear that only the daughter is to come over because "you don't want her distracted while she's working with sharp sewing scissors, pins, and a sewing machine." It's for her daughter's safety that she not bring herself and her other kids. I suspect this might make things much easier to take.

I agree with Nicegirl... if Martha is the one who is a pain in the behind, tell her that it will be easier and faster if you just work with her daughter. Hell, I'd even offer to pick the girl up and drive the girl home if it meant Martha wouldn't be at the house.

Ya..
    I don't really understand why she would want to bring herself and her whole entire family over, if you only need to teach the one daughter how to sew. It seems a bit intrusive and silly.
    I third/fourth the people who said to just make arrangements to have the daughter over by herself, if at all possible.

I mean, entire families don't go to thier kids piano lessons, so why would they ALL need to be at the girls sewing lesson.
    Anyhow, Good Luck!

I don't really understand why she would want to bring herself and her whole entire family over, if you only need to teach the one daughter how to sew. It seems a bit intrusive and silly.
    maybe the mom wants to be involved and kind of learn herself. i'm not trying to justify/take the mother's side... just offering another opinion. of course, if mom wants to learn, her daughter can teach her after she learns from you!

do you normally get enough sleep? if you typically wake up feeling like crap, you should a) schedule for later in the day or b) tell her that you can't do it. i would really be pissed if someone kept cancelling on me.

Remove Ads

Ads