Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Interesting attention while knitting/crafting in public

hey there,

Any of you have stories to share about interesting attention that you get in public while knitting/crocheting or crafting? I list knit and crochet specifically because I find that they are the most portable crafts - people tend to do them on the bus, the beach. I think brgt said in another post she was knitting at a football game!

Here's my story: afew weeks a go the special boy and I were catching some rays in deck chairs on the family beach. I was knitting a swatch to check my gage before starting on a pair of mittens (to match my scarf). One of our cousins said that we looked like "grockos" (sp?) apparently a british term for old folks who sit on the beach in deck chairs, but insist on wearing every stitch of clothing they own and hiding from the sun! I thought that was funny, considering we were in suimsuits, i.e., practically naked, and the only ressemblance seemed to be because I was knitting!

Anyway, I'd love to hear your stories ... I'm sure you have some!

del

2. # ADS

not really a "crafting in public" story, but every time i take the bag i crocheted out of old target bags to the store, people make comments about it. mostly they ask what it's made of, and how i made it, but i've also bonded with some crafty folk over it ("you crocheted that? i LOVE crocheting! haev you been to such-and-such yarn store?"), so it's a conversation starter, to be sure.

just another nice reason to wear your craftiness proudly. who knows, you might make some new friends!

I used to knit while I was waiting in doctors' offices, and I once had a nurse say that I was one of those "trendy new knitters" and huffily say that she didn't have time to knit. I was sort of amused by that, because part of the reason I had time to knit was that my doctors were never on time for appointments.

But mostly people just smile at me and occasionally ask what I'm making.

The other day I went to the university library to watch some documentaries for my summer research. I, of course, took my knitting.

My university library doesn't have an electronic monitor as you walk out; instead you have to have your bags hand-searched (for stolen books) while you leave. I noticed as I approached the checkout that the woman checking books was someone I'd never seen before, and that she had a super cool outfit on, including a specific pair of Danskos that I've been wanting all summer but can't afford. I looked at her and thought, "I wish I had been as cool as that woman when I was an undergrad."

When she checked out my bags, she started squealing over my knitting. "Oh, you knit?!? In the library? I love knitting! That scarf is so pretty -- where did you get the pattern?"

I found it very amusing and flattering to be looked at by this woman ten years younger than myself like I was cool. Especially since I'd been admiring her shoes from afar.

When I lived in Boston I got more looks, here in Madison, I don't even get a second glance. I was knitting in a sports bar the other day and no one gave it a second thought. The most I ever get is someone asking me what I am making.

I knit almost all the time I'm on the bus. Older gentlemen tell me about their mothers' knitting. Women tend to ask what I'm making, and if it's hard to do. Once someone asked me if I could show her how to cast off; she said she'd just started knitting but couldn't understand the instructions on casting off. And one day last week, I didn't have a project with me and a woman who rides my afternoon bus asked me where my scarf was. :)

I also knit: in waiting rooms and in long lines; in class, before the lecture starts and during the breaks; at the movies; during football games.

A couple years ago, when I'd first learned to knit, someone in a coffee shop commented, "Oh, you're so domestic!" Huh? If I were "domestic", wouldn't I be doing this at home? (Never mind that I was in the coffee shop to get out of my horribly messy apartment.)

When I knit on my breaks at work (a different coffee shop), customers often stop to talk to me and look at what I'm making. I don't mind the attention and am happy to answer their questions, but I have so little time, I'd really rather be left to knit in peace than carry on a conversation. Probably the most frequently asked question, which always surprises me, is "Are you knitting or crocheting?" I can't believe how many people can't tell the difference between two needles and a hook.

If I'm out with one of my craft groups, at least one person invariably comes up looking very interested in what we're all doing and wants to know how to join us. Which I think is great!

the weirdest response i've ever gotten to knitting in public was when i was knitting in a coffeeshop in a back corner and this dude, um, exposed, himself. just stood there pretending to be on the phone with it all hanging out. we were so into our knitting that it took us ages to realize it!

i've also heard pickup lines, too. like having a dog or a baby, it just makes you that much more approachable!

i usually knit or crochet on long plane trips. typically I am asked what I'm making, and once a flight attendant helped me figure out why my hat was looking more like a serving platter.

the weirdest line i got (i blogged about it, so sorry if you've heard it before) was from the Very Drunk Guy sitting behind me who said, "Why are you crocheting? Hot girls don't crochet." Obnoxious but giggle-worthy, for sure.

knitting in public does make you more approachable. I had a guy on the tube asking me to teach him how to knit and telling me how fabulous handiwork skills were (he was a bit scary though); also a group of very hip-looking teenagers who asked me what I was making and said they'd like to be able to make stuff like that, and a lovely conversation with a woman on the train who was very excited to find out there were knitting groups in London and took loads of web links off me. it's cool, I like random conversations on public transport...

Our knitting group tends to get a lot of comments as well; sometimes people just want to come and say about how they knit, or used to knit or see what you're doing, sometimes people laugh, like ' "look, they're a knitting group!", like that's the most hilarious thing in the world...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads