Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

your bathroom library

What's in your bathroom library? Do you have a stash of reading material in there, do you have a carry-in/carry out policy or do you prefer not to mix reading with business?

I just started wondering as I was cleaning the bathroom today. I realized we had the oddest collection of literature to an outside observer.
    Including:
    Mutations- by Rem Koolhaas
    The Practical Handbook of Power Tools (a 60s shop book that rocks!)
    Drug Topics magazine
    Highlights magazine
    Jamberry boardbook
    The Adventures of Penrose the Mathematical Cat
    Rodale's guide to insect pests and diseases
    and a 1/2 finished Sunday NYTimes crossword puzzle

what are your picks?

2. # ADS

We tend to just have the most recent issue of The Economist, although right now there is a courser reader for "Introduction to Cuban Society," too. Nothing too monumental ever really ventures into the bathroom.

i have varying amounts of stuff in the bathroom. in my last apartment I had a lot, cause I could put it on the tank, but now i live in an apartment with a weird tankless toilet (i heart chicago), so there's not really anyplace to put stuff...
    but, i currently have:

latest issue of YM
    library book about Dakar
    _Body of Power, Spirit of Resistance_ by Jean Comaroff

heh.

I put a basket next to the toilet just for this purpose, but its contents haven't changed in the past few months. I don't know if my roommate ever reads the stuff there, but I sure do.

-2 old copies of Allure;
    -1 issue of Popular Science;
    -1 small photo book about the USSR, c. 1965;
    -1 large hardbound children's book about weather (with instructions for experiments!).

There's probably some more stuff there, but i can't recall it all. I gotta say I am getting tired of looking at pictures of Ukranian peasantry! Time to put something else there.

Bitch, Bust, Electronic Gaming Monthly, US Weekly, Smithsonian, Alumni Magazines (University of Vermont, University of Massachusetts, Harvard), and a compilation of Onion stories.

Yup, we have some diverse interests!

We currently have

-a Patricia Cornwell novel
    -2 hotel coupon books

I usually leave a book in there but sometimes other stuff gets carried in.

The Art of Worldly Wisdom. 16th century advice from Spain.

We only keep magazines in the bathroom so we can throw them out as soon as we've read them and it doesn't matter if they get wet or damaged. Bust and Ready Made have never been allowed in there.

Here's what's in there right now-
    Michigan History
    Rolling Stone
    Cannibis Culture
    Anthropologie catalogs
    Marie Claire
    Jane

Has anybody mentioned Uncle John's Reader? It's a series of books of one page informative essays or facts, the length of the articles depend on the length of time you plan on being in there for.

my mom taught me that it's rude to read in the bathroom, so I don't do it. But I still remember someone asking me to borrow a book and then taking it to the bathroom, now THAT's rude. I don't care about people reading in the bathroom, but for god's sake, take your own stuff, and if you're at someone else's house, don't take their reading in there? It was esp gross b/c I lived in a dorm with those nasty dorm bathrooms and he took one of my text books in there.

jt

when i was growing up, we never had reading material in the bathroom. so i always thought it was wierd. plus, we were told that sitting on the toilet too long gives you hemroids! so when i moved in with my fiance, i thought it was really really strange that he read in the bathroom and also spent like 30 or 40 minutes sitting on the toilet sometimes! his parents both have reading material in their bathrooms at home, too, but no one in my family does. his mom even keeps those little hand held electronic games in the bathroom. i think if we ever have kids we will not keep books or magazines in the bathroom, because we only have one bathroom in our house and i dont want anyone getting in the habit of staying in there for extended periods of time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads