Men bad for women's waistlines

Saw this article and had to post it - especially sicne all of the relationship trouble that's been going around lately (here and esp. on glitter)

Men bad for women's waistlines

Some of it is intersting, some hogwash.

For example, this is interesting:
    He said research showed women tend to gain weight once they cohabit and begin to share meals with men who intrinsically have higher energy needs and therefore appetites.
    But this is hogwash:
    Societal changes mean women may be less physically active than their great-grandmothers were, doing less housework thanks to time-saving gadgets, getting partners to share the load or paying others to do it for them.
    Yeah right - today women do different housework, not less. We might not be wringing out the laundry, but we are vacuuming carpets. Plus we are still primary caregivers for children, AND we have careers! SHEESH!!!

del

2. # ADS

Re: Men bad for women's waistlines

Quote Originally Posted by delqc
    For example, this is interesting:
    He said research showed women tend to gain weight once they cohabit and begin to share meals with men who intrinsically have higher energy needs and therefore appetites.
    This definitely happens to me, though now that I'm aware of it, I take care to put less food on my plate. But sometimes it's strangely difficult to resist seconds when my boyfriend reaches for them, even if I'm not particularly hungry!

I agree with the comment that women are less physically active. True we are still active in other ways, but I've never had to walk miles to multiple stores in order to buy my supplies and then haul them back home in a wagon (if your lucky enought to own one.) Nor have I had to make my own bread and even grow my own food. I've never caught or butchered my own meat. I've not scrubbed clothing by hand in a tub nor scrubbed a floor or washed diapers by hand. Most of the time I drive to a gym, so I can get some excercise. I really do believe that our great grandmothers were physically more fit and since they were usually in charge of the menu and the cooking men probably had little effect on their growing waste lines.

Quote Originally Posted by myladyCindy
    I agree with the comment that women are less physically active.
    I think everyone today is less physically active than our great-grandparent's generation. What I objected to in the portion I quoted was the insinuation that women are no longer responsible for domestic duties and that this means that women do less. That opinion discounts the many women who have kids, houses, and careers, not to mention women in physically demanding jobs that were inaccessible to them years ago (and which are still difficult to access) such as carpentry, firefighting, police work, etc. I think, in total, women today have more demands on their time than they did 100 years ago - becuase now they can choose to do some additional things, but are still the ones primarily responsible for everything else in the house.

By the same token, I found the point relevant that I should not eat the same amount as my partner does - becuase intrinsiclally, metabolically, whatever, he burns more calories than I do (even doing nothing). So if we eat the same amount I will get fat and he won't. That was an important point.

What I really find fascinating is that most of these articles that have anything to do with women somehow seem to either reinforce women as negative. Simone de Beauvoir I think was the first to describe how genders are treated as "asymmetrical". What is masculine is ideal - what is feminine is simply not. This article does that by pointint out what women no longer do (housework) and equating this with women';s medical problems. THe artile also offers no objective comparison of women's overweightiness vs. mens, but seems to suggest that women have a much bigger problem with obesity than men, because of our "laziness" in using time-saving gadgets and our gluttony in eating as much as our partners.

Ok, that was just my take on the subtext between the lines of the article... I'd love to be wrong ...

I personally think that this study is stupid.

If girls gain weight in a relationship, that isn't the guys fault. It's not like the guy is force feeding them food. Take responsibility, and control over your own body. I hate the whole "lets find other people to blame" sydrome.
    However, why is it that men get the "relationships make you live longer!" positive stories, and we get all the crap things like them researching weight gain. It's really ridiculous.
    and ya.. I think EVERYONE is less active. Just look at schools and how many severely obsese children there are.

People in committed relationships tend to gain weight, at least early on. They no longer feel a need to keep up a strict weight-control regimen for the sole purpose of attracting a partner. When they're secure in a relationship, they're comfortable with their bodies and not overly concerned that letting their appearance "slide" will drive the other person away.

They share meals and may even enjoy cooking together as a hobby, whereas if they were alone, they may not put as much thought into what they eat. They might go out to dinner together often - and restaurants are known for large portions and encouraging patrons to eat more (appetizers, dessert).

The average person nowadays is less physically active than the average person several generations ago, for many reasons including the technology of the workplace and advances in transportation and communication.

So, when people settle down, they settle down. They tend to become less active and sometimes more complacent about their looks. Gender has nothing to do with it, and neither partner is to blame for "doing it to" the other. Total non-issue there.

Personally, my weight wasn't a big problem until bouncing b/t hyper and hypo thyroid entered the picture.
    My husband was very thin when his job required a great deal more activity AND he lived close to his job and walked to work. Now his job is strictly at a desk and he looks 7 mos pregnant!! LOL!
    In general it's true that we don't have the same physical demands that was required of housework before modern conveniences. But we certainly don't do less. I actually sat down one time and made a list of all the things I do around this house and it was really amazing just how much there really is to do.
    I have a very hard time getting my mind around how women were relegated to the status of "The weaker sex" in the old days. Even just going back to our grandparents' day, we all know how much work it was to keep a household running, particularly for those who had large families, which was very typical in those days.
    I have great admiration for my maternal grandmother-9 kids (out of 12 pregnancies) within a span of 15 years!! Plus keeping her children fed, clothed, bathed, educated, AND well-grounded!! That's a pretty tall order for one tiny woman! PLUS she cared for 2 of her grandsons when their mother had to go into a mental institution.

Remove Ads

Ads