spending a small fortune on winter tires

Anybody have thoughts on this?

We are considering Michelin X-ice or Nokian HK2. Both are ridiculously expensive. I think the Michelin would cost us like $100/tire and the Nokian around $140/tire.

But's it's hard not to spend more when you think you could be safer ... but I know I'm going to leave this feeling like I was ripped off.

Anyone have thoughts on winter tires, or these models in general?

*ETA: we have a civic with ABS brakes, and I think it's front-wheel drive ...

2. # ADS

I feel like it's totally worth it- even if it's just a possibility of being safer.

Not everyone has 4WD or AWD, but nearly everyone that I work with has Nokia/Hakkapeliitas on their cars.

They will last several seasons. Also, you may be able to find a used set. A lot of people invest in these great snow tires- but then trade to an incompatible car. We have a little newspaper just for classifieds here and it usually has lots of snow tires for sale.

We have a front wheel drive Pontiac and my husband put the snow tires on last week. I'm pretty sure they're Michelin and I remember something about ice. He pointed out a commercial last night and I wasn't really paying attention.

You getting much snow, Delqc? We got several inches yesterday and it's slowly melting. I think it'll be gone by tonight unless the temperature dips again.

both are very good, i would warn though against buying used tires unless it's from a dealer or someone reputable...you never know if they ran the tires underinflated or what. the guy that runs this site tests winter tires and compiles reviews: www.snowtire.info

also forgot, bridgestone blizzaks are also very good...

Quote Originally Posted by sjkmaurice
    We have a front wheel drive Pontiac and my husband put the snow tires on last week. I'm pretty sure they're Michelin and I remember something about ice. He pointed out a commercial last night and I wasn't really paying attention.
    Ok, that's what happens with me and my partner, but in reverse!!! This really made me laugh-out-loud ;)

Quote Originally Posted by sjkmaurice
    You getting much snow, Delqc? We got several inches yesterday and it's slowly melting. I think it'll be gone by tonight unless the temperature dips again.
    The rumour is that there was some in Montreal last night, but it was gone when I woke up. When I biked home last night (6 pm) I swear it was freezing rain ... ick. It was 3 degrees this morning on my way to work, so I'm sure the snow will be here soon!

I heard that the townships got 10-30 cm last night! I want to get the snow tires on this week if possible ...

I feel sick.

So the guy had the wrong price for the X-Ice - they were $130/tire! YIKES! Only $10 cheaper than the nokians! BUT the x-ice were the top-rated winter tires by Consumer Reports this year...

... so I just came from an absoultely hellish experience at Canadian Tire (over one hour and 10 min to buy 4 rims, and I had to carry them out to the car myself one by one - the sales rep refused to page someone to help!) and now the car is at a local garage. I'm buying the X-ice tires from that guy at $125 a pop, but at least the money is going to a local guy and not some corporation (i.e. Canadian Tire). It sucks, because we can't really afford it right now (they totally are going on credit) but what choice do we have? You have to be able to drive safely...

I realized I had no windshield wash in the car either, or an ice scraper / brush, so I got those too. So I guess I'm ready for ol' man winter to come get me ... Apparently there were ice pellets this morning, and the temp for this weekend is forecasted to be just above freezing, so none too soon!

You kept your summer tires, right? I don't know if you guys do this, but my husband put a different set on after the snow melts for the summer (I don't drive too much so they're kind of cheapies) and we have the expensive tires for winter. He says they should last at least two or three winters as long as you mark where they go so you're spinning the same direction next year. Then again, his father owns a large shed where we can store the tires for free so I don't know if that's a viable option for you.

Oh yes - there are all-season radials on our car now. We will take the winter tires off in the Spring and put the all-seasons back on - not only are they cheaper, but better in dry, hot conditions, and more fuel-efficient!

I hope that these winter tires will last more than 2 or 3 seasons! many of the warranties to to 100,000 k or more, and as we will only use these for about 1/2 the year, so around 10000-12000 k, they should last for six years or longer!

The fellow dropped me at work today so that he could get new tires for my car. I've been putting it off and putting it off because of the cost but I know I need tires. I don't want to drive around fearful because I'm too poor right now to pay for tires. I hate using my credit card but, in my opinion, safety is a good reason for debt.

dd

Remove Ads

Ads