Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

weird names for things

Last edited by Elf_Chick; 04-14-2011 at 09:10 PM.

2. # ADS

I don't know if you can consider a "room mate" an "item", but I call mine (well, my soon to be roommate) my platonic semester partner.

I don't know.
    I just like how it sounds.

growing up, my parents referred to the remote control for the tv as "the wand" because it changed the channels like magic!
    of course, this was way back in the mid-80s, when remote controls were still a relative novelty. i'm so old that i remember my father asking my mom to get up from the couch and change the channel for him. no wonder i turned into a man-hating feminist...hehe.

roxy the man-hater

we call our tv "satan" and our son sydney, "squid"

I use some very old names for things on occasion, like calling the refrigerator the icebox. The car, though a coupe, is a 'wagon', and I might call jeans dungarees. But my parents were old when they had their kids, and their parents were old when they had them so I grew up hearing the old references.

My father had strange little nicknames for all the kids, and I do for my nieces and nephews. One is Precious, one is Princess and another is Bathroom Boy. Light of my Life is a second cousin. I didn't realize I was so consistent with it until they were much older and pointed it out.

i met a guy who said 'thingie' when he couldn't remember the word. He once asked my friend doug if 'thingie' wanted to go to the market and was pointing at me

jt

Quote Originally Posted by lizzymahoney
    My father had strange little nicknames for all the kids, and I do for my nieces and nephews.
    My grandpa did that, too; I loved it.

Do y'all actually call the tv remote "the remote"? Ours is the clickie. I've heard it called clicker or changer, too.

Our dog = pigdog and the cats are all whorecats.

The remote is either The Mote (said with a really hard T at the end) or the "g.d. clicker box" which we got from a skit on This Hour has 22 Minutes.

Quarters are called turtles, and sometimes pronounced toe-toe. This started with a mispronunciation by my nephew asking me for a toe-toe and I thought he meant quarter; he meant turtle. :)

Thanks to my mom I call BP gas station "Beeps" and Hot Toddies "Hottie-Toddies."

I love these discussions!

We call the ceiling light in our kitchen Moe. We took it down once to do some rewiring, and it's got a big sticker on it that says "Moe Light!" I think it's cause you turn it on when you need some mo' light.

We also call one of the bushes in the front yard Don King because it looks kinda like him with the hair sticking up and all.

My hub and I call the remote the clicker. The cordless phone is the "go phone" and when we're naked we say that we're nake -nake. It's silly that we do this but I guess everyone does it!

I also call my car Mable. It's never "Honey I'm going up to the store." It's more like "Honey I'm taking Mable to the store."

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads