Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Crafters Coast to Coast

I considered applying to Coast to Coast on HGTV. I am so glad I didn't. What a great show that could have been. As an artist, I am interested in seeing how other artists work and what they use as inspiration and technique. How sad that the people who created and produced this show have no idea about their target audience. I view it as the art version of the "reality" shows. They pay no one and make a fortune off embarrasing other people.

To the Producers: You will find that serious artists will not be on your show. Please call it what it is: A comedy show that personifies a negative stereotype.

2. # ADS

What brought this on?

I'm just curious...

Crafters Coast to Coast

I have been in art my entire life. I have always had to overcome the preconceived idea of artists being "strange" and "weird". Yes we look at the world a different way than the average person, but so does a composer, an engineer and every other profession. That is what makes each of us good at what we do. When I first watched the show, I was expecting something along the lines of Carol Duval in that her show had a beautiful segment each week on a serious craftsman. That segment showed respect for the artist and the work they did. Not once did I see an artist jump on their bed or cross their eyes while makeing a "funny" face. The people that produce "Get Crafty", in my opinion, have no real knowledge or respect for the artists they portray. I know a hundred artists and not once have I seen them act that way. Yet I have heard non-artists talking about that show and how weird artists are. It saddens me to think that people are out there making money while taking advantage of others that do not know better. Why do you ask?

What bugs me the most is that the host isn't even a crafter. She's just a host for HGTV.

I agree. It's very disappointing that this is the only way crafters and artists have to be seen and they are portrayed as "wacky"

I'd like to hear what some of the GC women that have actually been on CCTC have to say about it.

I agree, people really, in any specialty, do look weird to outsiders. I have some friends that are really into their cars. Their cars were in Fast & the Furious and such. Whenever they hang out, they talk cars. My fiance is the same way about computers.

I asked because the people on there don't seem weird to me. I don't consider myself an artist in anyway, so I wondered why that show would bother you as an artist. When you said that the show personifies a negative stereotype, I didn't understand what you were specifically referring to. I agree, it's a bit ridiculous to show people jumping on their beds and making faces, but I usually try to look past that. (So much so, I didn't even think of it when you originally said it was showing the bad side of artists) There is a difference, definitely, between the way the people are portrayed on Carol Duvall and That's Clever. That's Clever's camera guy must have worked at MTV or something, he has really annoying camera angles. But, I like the show because people are being goofy, and having fun. I think they definitely play it up for the cameras, and maybe they come across as strange, but I just never thought of it that way. Just like some of the other shows out there, where the guests are obviously very uncomfortable in front of the cameras. It seems forced in a way. But, it doesn't subtract from me learning what they are there to show me.

I am really goofy and don't take myself too seriously. I like that the show shows the "artists" doing their thing, and then going outside for a little bit while they wait. I like the idea that they do things outside of the crafty world. (Last week one lady went outside and played bubble ball, which looks like a lot of fun) I also like it because it's obvious the people enjoy what they are doing. They do have some really good ideas. While they aren't getting paid for being on TV, I'm sure there is a bit of an advantage for them when it comes to selling their work.

And finally, I showed my future mother in law this show over the holidays. She's an art teacher. I was kind of embarrassed when the show was on and they did all their odd things that are typical for the show. (The camera angles were giving her a headache) I thought my future mother in law was going to disown me. :) But, after she watched the show, she discovered a couple of hints and tips she hadn't thought of before and went to the craft store and picked up some new supplies.

What's interesting is that friends of mine who did the show specifically complained afterward about how they felt the producers pressured them to say silly things they normally wouldn't say and to be goofy in a way that made them uncomfortable. So, I find it really interesting that it translates into viewers finding the show goofy in a really fakey way. The other complaint was they didn't feel they got to fully demonstrate their project in a way that showed how to execute steps correctly or safely.

To be perfectly honest, I've only watched one episode to see my friend on it. I found it so embarrassing and slapdash that I couldn't wait for it to end. I was asked to appear on it, and then turned down, which was really weird in the way it was handled. I'm kinda glad, to be honest.

Re: Crafters Coast to Coast

Quote Originally Posted by Art Person
    The people that produce "Get Crafty", in my opinion, have no real knowledge or respect for the artists they portray.
    Art Person, did you mean "Crafters Coast to Coast"?

I watch, I've had a couple friends on and heard about the wacky stuff they had them do. But I love supporting artists and crafters and so I look past the "wacky" scenes to appreciate their craft. But that is just me because I know the behind-the-scenes that they really aren't all that way. The only clip that really bothered me was when they has a Hispanic girl (who was making these gorgeous lanterns) do the Mexican Hat Dance on her sidewalk while she waited for her thing to dry/bake!!! That was goofy, i thought...

Crafters Coast to Coast

Please don't get me wrong. I do have a great deal of humor about myself and my work. You can't take yourself to seriously. You would go crazy - especially in this field. I have a BFA, have worked as an artist, illustrator, art director and creative director. I now do my own work, teach and do art festivals around the southeast. It is hard physical work, but great fun. My point about the CCTC is the fact that the people who created and produce the show do not know their audience. They are biting the hand that feeds them, and, from all outside appeararences, they don't care. Otherwise, they would change the format. The host not being a crafter is OK with me. She is just trying to earn a living. It would be better if she had some knowledge about what she was saying, but that is not her fault. The people who cast the show should have looked closer at the people they auditioned.

Re: Crafters Coast to Coast

Quote Originally Posted by Art Person
    . It would be better if she had some knowledge about what she was saying, but that is not her fault. The people who cast the show should have looked closer at the people they auditioned.
    it is her fault that she doesn't have better knowledge of it.

While I want to distance myself from any denigrating comments about the crafters who've appeared on the show, I do agree that the format of CCtC leaves a lot to be desired. I don't watch the show to see crafters act kooky; I watch it for inspiration and a little voyeuristic peek into other crafters 'worlds (I'm always jealous of folks who have their own studio/crafting space!).

My husband caught an episode recently and was frustrated by how much time was spent dancing and hopping around and doing crazy camera angles, rather than on the crafter and what she was making. Up until then, I wondered if I was just being supersensitive.

I'm sad that the show got this new title, but the format is still so kooky (while at the same time, other crafters on the show have been asked to tone down their look?).

I don't know, it's just frustrating that there's this opportunity but the show always disappoints. Again, due in no part to the folks who participate in the show!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads