Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Fahrenheit 9/11

You seem to have lots of editorial information about what others have thought of the film, maybe you should check it out and then form your opinions.
    i do plan to check it out. i just haven't gotten to it yet. which i said.

i was commenting, not so much on the movie itself, but the various criticisms i had read about it.

2. # ADS

A Canadian Perspective...

I noticed most of you are American, and I wanted to let you know about one Canadian girl's opinion.

I think it's GREAT that you are all seeing this film, and to hear that even some who are sceptical are seeing it as well. Us canucks sometimes wonder what the media is feeding the American people (see bowling for columbine).

F 9/11 made me more conciouse as a Canadian what Americans think of Bush and his maniac ways. Canadians almost generalize and think that all Americans must think that way, after all, he got into office right? OPened my eyes a bit wider.

I also just want to mention that Moore is an extremist....even though I agree with most of his ways, he can go pretty far. But what would the world be like if we didn't have these people puching the envelope? Just think of Malcome X or Ghandi or any other human rights activist?

And to add a comparison to moore's movie...Canada just had a federal election, and it was interesting to see who voted where. For the most part the city dwelling folks voted Liberal. Most of the Conservative votes came from small towns/rural communities. So Canada isn't too far off from the USA...

I think this movie proved that you cannot trust what you hear or see on TV and that you should try your hardest to keep an open mind. That's what I got out of this film.

Peace

I think the way Bush was portrayed throughout the movie was wonderful and completely acurate. Bush is a complete idiot. And to think that he thought he'd get away with having his little "affair" with Osama! Seriously, we knew that Osama's family had been investin in all of Bush's opportunities. And to think that Bush is the asshole that sent our friends, family, and other young people into Afghanistan and Iraq for nothing. The dumbshit knew that they would be fighting over there for nothing. Maybe we should send over his little princess, what do you say?

I just had to add: I'm also a Canadian girl living in the US.

just wanted to post again on this topic now that i've seen this movie.

it pissed me off in two ways.

the good way: although i didn't learn anything earth-shattering and new, i was reminded of how just how frustrated i feel with america's current political state. not to mention the fact that i don't agree with the war.

the bad way: i think that the film has the direct tendency to look like 'left-wing propaganda' for those who support bush. this could have been avoided, i believe, if it had been presented in a less sentimental format.

i, for one, am glad to be back in the uk after two weeks in the u.s. i dislike the world of politics for the way it tends to get heated and angry and the way battlelines get drawn. i was dishearted almost daily between people in both political camps as they called people in the other camp horrible things. it was like being on a 4th grade playground only with adults up into their 80s.

i will speak about my political beliefs, but not when things get heated and people start mudslinging. i think that whatever opinion you come to is okay as long as you are educated about it.

do i agree with bush? no. but i think that's the beauty of democracy (whether or not you believe it works), that we have a choice of candidates. and i sure as hell think it's f*cking amazing that in theatres next to 'shrek 2' and 'white chicks' we have a documentary analyzing/criticizing the current president of the country.

x
    betsy

Bear with me, I think that this might be a little long. I personally thought that the movie was amazing. I knew going in that it would be biased, and perhaps some of the information would be exagerrated to make Moore's point, but it moved me nonetheless. The main reason that it moved me so much is because my father was in the military, and he fought in Desert Storm, as well as being involved in many other missions that were quite dangerous. So when I say that I am against the war, it is because I have been in the position that families are in today, wondering whether or not my father would come home safely. Moore's movie just reinforced my emotions regarding the administration and the war when it showed the mother who had lost her son in Iraq. I understand that military action is necessary at times, but I do not believe it was necessary in this case.

I guess I am going to go off the subject just a little. While I don't hate Bush (because that is too strong of a word), I do dislike him, I dislike him for the way he brings his religion into the government. I realize that religion is important in many people's lives, but I have made the decision that I do not like many of the ideas and beliefs associated with many of todays religions. (I went to church for 14 years, so it is not as if I have no experience) So, I do not believe it is fair for the government to enact laws because of a faith not everyone adheres to. I know that may draw some critisicm, but it is what I believe in. I especially agree with the several others who have brought up the fact that as much faith as he has, he has no problem executing people.

So to end (finally I know), I just think that it is amazing that a movie so critical of our government can be such a success. That is what this country was based on.

Quote Originally Posted by geek_chick
    I guess I am going to go off the subject just a little. While I don't hate Bush (because that is too strong of a word), I do dislike him, I dislike him for the way he brings his religion into the government.
    Definitely agree with you here. My upbringing was fundamentalist, and it just infuriates me to see those same unrealistic fundamentalist ideals being brought into government. The government is supposed to be for the people, all people, not just those who subscribe to one particular belief system.

And though I know that the first colonists were not necessarily all here for religious freedom, it did play a large role in the formation of our country and our independence from England (and most particularly the Church of England). So why are we back in that same place, trying to mold the government of this vast and diverse country after just one (very narrow) set of beliefs?

There is a part of me, however, that strongly doubts the depth of Bush's religious convictions. Somehow it just seems a part of the whole PR package put together to sell this unqualified man to the voting public.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Remove Ads

Ads