Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quitting coffee

quitting coffee

i need to stop drinking coffee for health reasons....and it's killing me so far! has anybody tried this?
    i've been drinking tea but it doesn't make the headache go away! i need help!

2. # ADS

My mother had to stop coffee and ALL caffeine too, many years ago, cold turkey after drinking three or four POTS of the stuff daily. She was in dreadful shape for three days, and then it was pretty much over. Your headaches are from caffeine withdrawal. (If you check the ingredients of most "headache" specific medications, you'll spot caffeine in them.)

Bear with it, and get a really good B-complex vitamin to help stay the course, and you'll be fine in a week.

Try eating chocolate. I have tried quitting caffiene...but to no avail. I don't even know why I wanted to quit, I just wanted to do it to say I could. I also went through withdrawl from pain meds after getting kidney stones last year. Chocolate releases endorphins and has a bit of caffiene in it. And drink a lot of water, get a bunch of sleep and take it easy. And take tylenol if you can.

If you're quitting coffee because of caffeine overdose any tea, cola or chocolate will give you caffeine and you will need to quit all of them, at least for a while. My mother had actually become allergic to caffeine and needed to stop ALL caffeine. (Are you doing this under doctor's orders?) I know a few people who switched from coffee to green tea and were fine after a short while.

I quit this summer because I am pregnant. It's very tough for me as I LOVE my coffee especially in the morning. I didn't get bad headaches as I thought I would and I think it's because I'm pregnant believe it or not. When I wasn't pregnant and tried to go decaf, I would get terrible migraines. Excedrin was my best friend.

try yerba buena and some homeopathic remedy for headaches.

Re: quitting coffee

Quote Originally Posted by grumpetunia
    i need to stop drinking coffee for health reasons....and it's killing me so far! has anybody tried this? i've been drinking tea but it doesn't make the headache go away! i need help!
    yes, i stopped drinking coffee, tea and energy drinks this past june/july and i think i'm the better for it.

i "took up" regular coffee drinking at work (damn all workplaces that provide free caffine!). after awhile, i got tired of the coffee breath and cheap coffee they provided. so, i started to regularly take up my favourite weekend source of caffine, guru, which is very similar to red bull except it tasted better.* the only thing is, that after almost two months of (1 or sometimes 2) daily gurus during the most stressful work period of the year, i started to get physically and mentally burned out.

one monday morning i was rushed and wasn't able to get a guru before work, and i was about to get a coffee when i decided that i was going to stop the madness. it was a tough monday morning. i was so grumpy and headachy all day. when i got home i quickly ate something and went straight to sleep (at around 8pm). the next morning, after sleeping 11 hours, i felt really good.

since stopping coffee, tea and guru i've been able to sleep better, i'm not as stressed as before and, if you stick with it, you'll finally get rid of that pesky "caffine headache syndrome". also, i drink more watter now than i ever did before, just because i've replaced the coffee mug with a bottle of water instead.

i did try to drink a snapple ice tea, and that messed me up (i felt terrible and i couldn't sleep that night), surprisingly enough. so my advice would be, if you are going to stop coffee you'll also need to stop tea. i will, however, have the occasional soft drink but never the entire can. and i still eat dark chocolate.

some people will say that quitting major sources of caffine is extreme but a lot of people today don't get enough sleep and that's partly due caffine intake.

i say, good for you! i hope you stick with it!

* another reason why i gave up caffine is because guru had just changed the taste of their energy drink and this made me so angry. i couldn't justify paying almost three bucks on something that tasted so bad. so i've vowed never to buy their product again, and i even told them so. for your knowledge, 1 guru contains more caffine than a cup of coffee.

I avoid caffeine as much as possible, so I can save it for the days that I *need* it. Take last week, when I was exhausted with the end of the semester and feeling sick but I still had to go teach, so then I bring in the caffeine.

How acute are your problems? Can you wean yourself with black tea then green tea?

wow, thanks for all the advice.
    i have been drinking 1 cup of earl grey a day, but next week i'll just drink green tea. the first week was hard. then the headache went away. now i feel fine....but a little less SMART than i was before.
    my doctor didn't order me to quit caffeine, but i have an annoying/painful/embarassing problem with chronic urinary tract infections and they've been getting worse lately. the doctor, and every health website out there, says caffeine is no good.
    i'm looking forward to being caffeine-free someday.

OH yeah, gotta get rid of the caffeine for that. I've had those, and cutting caffeine helps a LOT. (Sugar, too.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads