How about Ants in the kitchen

No fruit flies for me, just ants. We'e sprayed and sprayed, but they keep coming back. What is the secret to getting rid of ants? They have now managed to work their way into the cabinets, before it was just the counter and sink. Plus I'm not 100% sure where they are coming in.

2. # ADS

We have sugar ants, which isn't so bad, considering we've had FIRE ANTS FROM HELL before.

When I get really vindictive, I chase them with dawn liquid soap and watch their little legs kick in the mess. I suppose that's horrible.

Check for ant beds outside. Sometimes that helps if they're nearby, you can get them. Or just wait for the summer to end. Mercy, mercy me.

I don't have a lot of advice on ants, we used to get these in Shreveport and there's really no way to get rid of them.

-I prefer ant traps to spray, because then they carry it around with them and give it to other ants.
    -Be sure to wipe down their trail. Ants mark a trail with scent, which is why they all walk in a straight line. If you wash off their trail, they get disoriented and don't all head straight into your cupboard or wherever they were headed.

Actually dish soap is a great deterant for ants! If you know where they are entering your home you can spray a trail across the area and they will stop coming in. Dilute it in a spray bottle with a little water. You can also fill a spray bottle half full and add about 2 tsps. of peppermint oil to spray areas where they get in or hang out. They will stay away as long as the yummy pepperminty smell lingers. There is a great book (where these ideas came from) by Karan Logan called Clean House, Clean Planet. It has a lot of safe non-toxic recipes for pest control and household cleaners. All of the ones I've tried have been wonderful!

Karla

When we had ants

• I made sure to never leave dishes in the sink, especially empty soda cans

Wipped down the counters several times a day (often with diluted lemon juice)

Used those little ant traps

Lemon juice, pepper, peppermint and chalk are also good (put them on sills, edges of cabinets, edges of floors, etc.)

Put things like sugar, sugar cereal, butter, etc. in airtight containers

Did not keep empty bottles in cans in the house

I had ants when I lived in CA. We went to Home Depot and got those ant traps where you put a few drops of hot water in it... I wish I could remember the name it...It took 2-3 days but they were deader than a door nail! Afterward I just wiped down all the walls and cabinets they had infiltrated. They didn't come back.

Boric acid mixed into a little honey place it outside and hopefully the ants will take it to the queen. I've also heard boric acid being used for yeast infections but that's a whole other thread. :]

Leah

Ants hate cloves.

When we had ants at my mom's house we made little squares of tule/netting and put cloves in it, and tied it up with pretty ribbons and put them where the ants were coming in..or wherever.

They're like little ant-replent potpourri satchets.

Remove Ads

Ads