View Poll Results: What is your religious belief?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Atheist

15 20.27%
  • Christian

23 31.08%
  • Jewish

5 6.76%
  • Muslim

0 0%
  • Other

22 29.73%
  • Buddhist

6 8.11%
  • Wicca

3 4.05%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spirituality

oops meant to spell heart instead of hard...should have previewed before submitting!!

2. # ADS

Other.

I barely know what I believe, and I'm not to the point where I can express it completely.

I don't really have a religion, and I'm not sure I could ever follow just one. I tend to find that bits and pieces from all religions (well, at least MOST of them) make sense to me. It's not that I'm picking and choosing, but it's hard for me to believe some of the things religions teach.

A huge thing from this is how many things are defined as "sins" but to ME really just seem like a way to control behavior that's considered bad. And that part isn't what bothers me, it's that thought in the back of my mind that a bunch of guys writing these "rules" down were wondering how to get people to follow them. Well, if God tells you to do something, you'd think you would do it right?

Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaE
    I'm Buddhist ... not sure what else to say other than that.
    I know exactly what you mean. You can't describe it without a huge explantation.

what about paganism? or would that be too sililar to wiccanism? i've been gravitating toward traditions and rituals that honor the seasons and it's become a nice form of prayer/meditation for me.

i wasn't really raised as anything- sometimes we would go to my Gram's methodist church (christmas eve and easter). i went to sunday school a couple of times. my mother claims to have baptized me in the kitchen sink. when i was about 6 i found my great grandmothers rosary beads in the wall in the attic and felt a strong attachment to them. my father's family was Irish Catholic- but my immediate family wasn't. last year, at 26, i became Catholic- i was baptised, confirmed, and received my first communion on Easter. I finally feel that i belong to a Church- and am on the Litugry (decorating) Committtee. I think it was a good choice to do it as an adult- when i decided to chose my own religion. and after 9 months of adult religious ed i feel like i have a good grasp on learning all there is to know about the Catholic Church. :) edited to ad that for my birthday last year my dad gave me the rosary beads that i had found as a child...

I'm an atheist. I think it's a good, solid word! I don't feel like it makes me part of a group, because it only relates to that one little thing - not believing in god - and I don't necessarily expect to have anything else in common with other atheists (it imparts nothing about our ethics, which I think is the important bit). I'm completely spiritualityless; I'm a materialist (philosophically speaking) and I don't believe in the metaphysical at all.

Quote Originally Posted by honeybee
    what about paganism? or would that be too sililar to wiccanism? i've been gravitating toward traditions and rituals that honor the seasons and it's become a nice form of prayer/meditation for me.
    I'm pretty sure that being Pagan is more aimmed toward nature.
    I'm not pagan, but I have read and studied some of the history behind it. It's funny in some ways because through time, Pagan has been unfairly connected with being "evil" -which it is not. Unless trees are the devil. ha ha ha.

I selected Christian- I go to Catholic church every once in awhile, I celebrate Christian holidays. My beliefs vary greatly in some areas from typical Christian beliefs, and I hardly ever go to church. But I do pray, and I do believe in God, and several other aspects of the religion, so I've always identified myself as Christian, despite the few things I disagree on with other Christians.

I'm another agnostic who checked "Other".

I was raised Catholic for a while but neither of my parents were particularly religious. Most of the Catholic doctirne never really stuck to me, but I still get a sense of peace when I go into a church.

My spirituality now is simply a recognition and respect of something that is greater than we are. I think it's impossible to define it very clearly. Part of it is nature, part of it is the chaos that leads to coincidences that I usually refer to as "the universe".

I'm sure that made no sense.

I was raised Catholic, which, for me, was a horrible experience. I knew from my first day of CCD classes (which I had to take, because, according to the nuns, my parents didnt' love me enough to send me to Catholic school) at age 7, that I did not believe. For the first few months I thought that all the things I was being told were fake, and that all the adults knew this but had to make the kids believe. I was a little shocked when I realised that the adults really DID believe all of it. Even as a child, it struck me as irrational and contradictory. However, the last straw was when I was preparing for confirmation. In class, we were given a hand-out that listed the Ten Commandments--along with a list underneath each commandment specifying ALL the things that simple commandment forbade. It was a four page handout. And there under the 6th Commandment (Thou shalt not commit adultery--and the order of Catholic commandments is different than that of the Protestant commandments), listed as a sin was homosexuality. I had realised the year before that I was a lesbian, but it hadn't really occurred to me that my church thought me a sinner for it. I knew right away when I read that that I could not be a part of a faith that would condemn me to hell for being myself. My best friend and I excommunicated ourselves at the bus stop the next morning. I was forced by my mother to be confirmed, and forced to attend church for the next four years as well.

In my late teens, I was Wiccan for about two years. I liked the ritual and the history. But I hated that most pagans I met were very wishy-washy and almost ditzy. I hated the moral relativism. I yearned for a central text and a closer-knit community.

At the same time, my academic advisor in college was a great source of strength and wisdom for me. And she's Jewish. I realised then that she was only the second Jew I'd ever met, and that I knew nothing about Judaism. I wanted to know more, not because I had any desire to be Jewish, but just because I felt it was something I should have more knowledge about.

However, the more I read, the more right it seemed. I read whatever I could find, and...it was like coming HOME. Here were all the things I already believed, in one faith, without my having to compromise anything. I felt such a connection. I knew after only a few weeks of reading that I wanted to convert. However, I waited three years to start the process, partly because my life at that time was so hectic, and partly because I wanted to be sure that my commitment was REAL. Last week I officially started the process of conversion. Everyone I met at the synagogue has been so kind and receptive, and I know now more than ever that I have found my true faith. I'm almost crying as I write this, because I feel that strongly about it.

Sorry so long...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads