View Poll Results: What is your religious belief?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Atheist

15 20.27%
  • Christian

23 31.08%
  • Jewish

5 6.76%
  • Muslim

0 0%
  • Other

22 29.73%
  • Buddhist

6 8.11%
  • Wicca

3 4.05%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spirituality

Spirituality

I know this is such a personal thing, but if you would like to share, I think it would be interesting to see what we all believe in - or don't. Only comment if you feel comfortable - I will try to put as many options on the poll that I can.

Ok - the options are in a weird order - not intentional, I just messed up. Oh - and I didn't include Agnostic, because I think it so closely resembles Atheist, and I ran out of options, BUT if anyone has a better understanding of it I would like to know.

2. # ADS

I thought agnostics didn't know what they believed, whereas atheists knew for sure they did NOT believe in god.

Regardless, I checked 'other'. Grew up in a non-religious family, occasionally went to a protestant church/sunday school with my grampy, then in my late teen years labelled myself atheist, which evolved into agnostic. Then began my path of spiritual seeking...I spent a couple years at an ashram exploring eastern religions and yoga, followed by a lot of meditating and exploration of buddhism, as well as studying the interplay of western psychology and eastern spirituality.

At this point, I'm just a spiritual mutt of sorts who believes in some greater mystery outside of ourselves and our egos- a higher consciousness that ties us all together and orchestrates 'coincidents' and intuition and the pull of the universe's energies. It also can't be explained very well with words!

I definately do NOT believe in a god which judges and picks favorites and casts sinners into hell- if there's a hell, it's right here on earth and we're living it. And I don't mean to disrespect anyone who does believe this, but it's not my belief system, and to each their own.

I actually don't like to use the term "atheist" - I can't quite explain it, I just think it implies a unified group. I'm just me, perhaps "non-believer" would be more accurate.

I picked "other" b/c I'm agnostic - which for me is very different than atheist. to me it seems an atheist is fairly certain there is no higher being. My thing is that I do not know, nor do I think we can know for sure; I dwell in the opposite of any certainty whatsoever.

there is a song that Natalie Merchant & the Talking Heads guy do called "Let the Mystery Be" that I think explains it much better than I do.

We went to an Episcopal church when I was a kid. My folks stopped going when I was around 12. My Mom says that Father B. preached the same boring sermons over and over, so my folks started questioning what religion meant to them.
    I don't really believe in the existance of God, but I'd like to think that there is some spiritual force that guides us.
    I guess I have a bit of a problem with organized religion in general.
    But my husband has a reason to dislike organized religion....He was raised Episcopal, like I was, but his Mother's family was Catholic. After my MIL's mother passed away young, he was told by his church, that if he didn't give a certain percentage of his earnings to the church, that his wife would go to hell. And so he did.....to his dying day at the age of 91, even though he could in no way afford to do so. 50 years of this for a sweet woman who died after the birth of her 6th child. I don't know how in the hell the elder of his church had the audacity to approach gramps to his face, and tell him that his beloved wife, who never in her life hurt a fly, would go to hell if he didn't pay up!!
    After my husband's own father died, at the age of 52, the family was asked if they wanted him buried in the Catholic cemetary, because his 2nd wife was A very Catholic italian. My husband and his brother almost laughed right in their faces, because of his father-in-law's (gramps) dealings with the Catholic church. They said NO WAY! Dad would roll over in his grave!

I guess I'll be the first Christian to post. Though I wasn't for most of my life. I don't consider myself "religious," though I do think I am "spiritual." I guess I can't look outside and see the beauty of the earth and the skies and deny there isn't a God that watches over me and everyone. I dislike that tv evangelists are giving the religion a bad name, and think that it is self-righteous to say that your word is the word of God or in any way claim that your interpretation is the one that is meant. Blah, my rant. *Steps off her soapbox*

Well, i'm an atheist, but i'm also a (mostly non-pracicing) Buddhist. There are groups of Buddhists who have a system of gods/spirits, but clasically, Buddhism is not theistic.

my understanding of agnosticism (which is mostly derived from the word meaning "not knowable" so i could be wrong) is that agnostics feel that it is not possible to know from personal experience whether or not god exists. whereas gnostics believe that one can experience the existance of god personally.

i don't really have a problem with the word "atheist". i believe that people create their own system of the world, and my system of the world does not include gods or abstract spiritual higher powers. i'm sure god exists for people who believe, but after years of consideration and soul-searching, i do not personally believe in god(s).

I picked other, mostly because for me spirituality and religion are somewhat separate. I was raised Catholic, and I do not go to church, nor do I have any desire to become more religious.

But I would like to develop my spirituality, as to me it is a big part of creativity-- the sense of wonder that makes getting up in the morning worth it. While I do believe in a benevolent, unifying force in the universe, and other things unseen, I don't ascribe to any rigid set of rules as defined by a particular religion...

An interesting thing to think about! I don't generally give it much thought in my daily life.

I am a Christian, too. I fully believe in God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. I'm a protestant now, but was raised Catholic. I didn't truly know what I believed until I was in my twenties, and I discover new aspects of my faith every day.

I was raised Mormon, and still consider myself one, though I have some issues--more with church members than with the belief system itself. Mormons tend to be politically very conservative, and I am so not. But I think I'd have issues with any church I belonged to, no matter what it was. I think all thinking people have their own moral code. I certainly do. Sometimes it goes along with the religion I was raised in, sometimes not. I'm comfortable with that.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads