Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New bunny!

New bunny!

My boyfriend just bought me a rabbit for our anniversary. I love her to pieces, but I don't know much about rabbit care and was wondering if any fellow bunny-havers could give me advice.

2. # ADS

I don't have a rabbit--just a bearded dragon and fourteen tarantulas--but when I was a newbie spider-keeper I just Googled "tarantula care" and got more information than I could handle. You should be able to do the same for bunnies.

I second Spider-lady's advice. I actually did that for a wild bunny we found that got separated from it's home and found oodles of information.

Share pictures! I adore bunnies!

http://www.rabbit.org/ has a lot of info on bunny care. The biggest problem we had was the water bottle. The water bottles that you screw off the spout to fill up always leak. We bought on that fills from the other end and it has never leaked. Clip toe nails every so often. Their teeth continuous grow so get something for them to chew on. You can usually find flavored wood blocks in the pet section. Our rabbit loves to chew on card board and throw things. I buy her bird toys that she can throw and sisel mice (cat toys) for her to play with.

Thanks for the link--it was very helpful. I just gave her some cardboard to chew on and a little box with a blanket I never got around to finishing that she can lie down in and I'm going to give her a few toys that my cat never plays with. :) I'll have pictures in a couple of days!

I had one growing up. They love alfalfa. I find that they are a lot like birds in a sense because if you don't hold them often they get annoyed when you do. I knew someone who had a rabbit that roamed the house like a cat. They trained it to go in a litter box...I don't know how!

i second the notion that they should be handled as much as possible when they are young-- my neice had a very sweet bunny adopted from a farm that trained the animals for occupational therapy in hospitals and nursing homes. her bunny had been handled and petted a lot already by the time it came to her, and it remained very good and calm about being held and stroked. it also knew to return to its cage to do its business if they let it out! i'm not sure who taught it that.

i want to see pictures!

What type of rabbit do you have? Are you planning to keep it in the house or put it in a hutch?

I have a rabbit that I found in my yard. I've had rabbits before but this one is a bit skittish. I have a cat that loves to hunt so I haven't been able to take it out of the cage much. I have a few books to recommend.

" The House Rabbit Handbook: How to Live with an Urban Rabbit" by Marinell Harriman.

"Hop to It: A Guide to Training Your Pet Rabbit" by Samantha Hunter.

"The New Rabbit Handbook" by Lucia Vriends-Parent

I've had plans to eventually breed angora rabbits. I was interested in harvesting the their wool and they are wonderful producers of fertalizer. Rabbit waste can be used immediately on the garden (no aging) or can be used in a worm bin.

Yes, rabbits can be litter trained but I would recommend using a litter specific for a rabbit like ground cob so that it won't be a problem if it eats it. I had mine trained, but he started to like to hang in the litter box and make waste in the rest of the cage, so I decided to put the litter in the rest of the cage and let him sit in the litter box. I've let the rabbit out of the cage to run wild in a bedroom and he will return to the cage to urinate. The little poop balls are another story. Luckily, they aren't too offensive and sweep up easily.

I've picked up a big excersize ball but haven't put him into it yet. I don't know how well he will like it but I'm hoping it will give him a chance to get out of the cage some. It could be interesting if he ends up chasing the cat around.

I hope this has helped some. if you have anymore questions, just ask.

Tomico

I've let the rabbit out of the cage to run wild in a bedroom and he will return to the cage to urinate.
    Oh, if only my little Fontine were the same way. I let her out of her cage last night to run around my room for a little while and she turned my room into a giant toilet. She peed all over some stencils I had made, and then started licking them. WTF?
    I'm pretty sure she's a Havana. She's all black and very cute. An exercise ball sounds like a pretty good idea. She'd get to run around and I wouldn't have to worry about her chewing on electrical cords. Win win!

I just tried the ball and so far the little fart just sits in it but I don't think he is very active. I bought a red one to go with my decore but I think he probably would have been better off with a clear one so he could see better. Boy is it hard to get the bugger out of his cage. I'll try more at a later time.

If you have anymore questions just ask.

T.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads