Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Oh. I forgot. I think everyone should read The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers. Or, if you have a spare copy of the book, send it to me.
    I know, I know. Beggarly nerd.

2. # ADS

i third barbara kingsolver- her first 3 novels are very different than the poisonwood bible, which is very different than prodigal summer, my favorite. her essays are also wonderful.
    as for poets, i never even liked poetry until i read mary oliver, specifically, new and selected poems.

if you enjoy fairy tales at all -- especially slightly twisted ones with a feminist bent -- you might like angela carter. she is by far one of my favorite female writers (i would put virginia woolf up there too, especially orlando). carter has a unique way with words and detail -- some might find her a little over the top, too wordy, and her colorful details are sometimes a little overwhelming, like overripe fruit... but i love it and eat it all up!

ooh, i loooooove isabel allende altho i have yet to read house of spirits.

Lorrie Moore's Who Will Run the Frog Hospital? is one of my favorites. Also, for a more speculative fiction bent, Nina Kiriki Hoffman has a style that is warm and lovely like drinking a cup of hot cocoa. Josephine Tey's The Daughter of Time is another old favorite and still my favorite mystery. Dodie Smith's I Capture the Castle is either boring or brilliant, depending on who you ask.

Eva Figes! I especially liked The Knot, though it's been years since I read it...I should try and find it so I can re-read it.

I like Elizabeth George too, but that's more of a crime novel recommendation I guess.

Edith Sitwell's pre-war poetry is like Jazz.
    Angela Carter's The Bloody Chamber if you like fairy tales.

I second (or third and fourth, where needed) all of Soapandwater's recommendations -- that girl's got taste!

Also, I just started reading Ana Castillo's fiction, after loving her essays and poems forever but somehow never getting around to reading her novels. Especially recommended is The Mixquiahuala Letters, which is a novel written in letters that you can read in any order, depending on how you want it to end up (the author herself gives three recommended orders for reading the letters, depending on whether you consider yourself quixotic, conformist, or some other adjective I can't remember right now). It really is a totally different book depending on which order you pick.

Good stuff.

Thanks, Xuli. That Castillo lady sounds nutty in an absolutely readable way. I haven't gotten to choose my own ending/order/whatever since Goosebumps in the fifth grade.

jeannette winterson is also great. the passion is one of my faves.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads