Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

quitting cigarettes

I just read the quitting coffee thread, and was hoping to find some hints. I've been a smoker for 5 years and my new year's resoloution was to "choose health". So when I'm thinking how much I need a cigarette, I'm trying to change my train of thought to how nice having pink lungs is going to be. I'm on day 8 and have had only two cigarettes since day 1...the slip up being when I was drunk in a bar...and the toughest time I've found has been at work--I'm a waitress, and I'm sure a lot of you know how valuable those cigarette breaks are. So anyway, I'm going strong, I don't want to cave, but I'm afraid when I'm a month into quitting I'll reward myself with a cigarette and it will slowly go downhill. Advice, anyone?

Thanks! Jamie

2. # ADS

There is a movie you should watch-- The Insider, with Russell Crowe. It is about the man who blew the whistle on the cigarette companies and how they knew the dangers of smoking long before they were made public. That movie made me so mad that I vowed never to give those companies another cent. It may help to inspire you as well. Good luck-- I know how horribly tough it is!

Maybe you can think of other things as rewards?

Buy yourself something that would cost the same as a carton of cigarrettes. Take yourself to the movies. Buy a brand new "never been smoked on" outfit. Fill your car up with gas :) . Donate the saved money to charity. Make a shirt that says "I Rock" and wear it triumphantly.

Hang in there!!! You can totally do this!~

i used to smoke in my car, and cleaning out all the ashtrays and vacuuming the upholstery helped me not smoke in there. i also think it helps to have anything cleaned (like coats or sweaters) that smell like cigarettes, because it's harder to smoke if you know you're going to stink up a nice clean coat that cost $15 to have cleaned.

i made an agreement with myself that i would not BUY cigarettes. if i was dying and had to have one, i could bum a smoke from a friend or stranger, but i couldn't buy a pack. that helped because i hate bumming cigarettes.

the real, true, honest, vain, embarrassing reason i was able to quit is because old ladies who smoke just look so gross. check out an elderly woman who smokes! see how much wrinklier they are than nonsmokers, and how their fingers are yellow, and how they smell terrible. imagine yourself in that situation, 50 years from now, old and probably sick from smoking and still totally dependant on cigarettes. it's not a happy place. maybe i'm a bad person, but hey, i don't smoke a pack a day anymore!

i still have a cigarette now and then when i'm drinking, but the longer i go without smoking every day, the easier it is to not have a cigarette even when i go out.

I just quit a few weeks ago - and I'm literally chewing up the nicorette. I'd like to stop that at some point, but I've found it does make me less bitchy!

Since I was a "almost a pack a day" smoker, I take four dollars every day I'm not buying a pack and stick it in my savings account. Since I have online banking, this is super easy.

I've also gone out less, but the other night I went out and drank and didn't smoke!

I also recommend becoming a smug, annoying self-congratulatory non-smoker. Because then, it will be harder for you to go back - as you'll feel like such a hypocrite. (It worked for me anyway!)

Yeah - and if you have one, as you're drawing the smoke in, picture your lips disappearing, and those disgusting vertical lines above your upper lip becoming more and more distinct.

Good luck!

Yeah, I was supposed to quit on January 2nd. I have been having at least one cigarette a day sometimes 3, but that is rare. I hate that I do that, but doing it cold turkey is hard. I have been smoking for 12 years. Looking at that number makes me feel sick. Yesterday though, I didn't have a cigarette until 10:30pm so each day for me is getting better. I figure I will have one every other day, and then quit all together. I quit before with the patch, but I had an allergic reaction to it. Does the gum work? But, wouldn't you just get addicted to nicotine in the gum? I have been drinking certain teas that are supposed to take the toxins out of your body from the smoking the Yogi Fasting Tea because it has Burdock root and Red Clover. It helps.

The nicotine gum is meant to work as a substitute for cigarettes, but you're meant to wean yourself off of the gum as well. Beleive me, its helpful, but nicorette doesn't have the scarey toxins that cigarettes do, and for some (like me) its the act of smoking and that first cigarette that pushes you over the edge and then I just smoke the whole darn pack. Using the gum lets me get over my nicotine "crazies" without pushing me into smoking.

My husband and I quit six months ago - I had smoked for five years, he'd smoked for 11!

The number one thing we realized was helping was doing absolutely, positively nothing to remind ourselves of the fact that we'd quit. No rewards, no putting money in a jar, no daily affirmations. When people asked if we smoked or wanted a cigarette, we just said "No," not "No, we quit."

The less we gave ourselves the chance to think about it, the easier it was to get over cravings. The first two weeks or so were really, really hard. We both picked up new hobbies (not habits) that were engaging and occupied our hands. My husband started drawing more and started writing his book. I immediately began to teach myself new, complicated knitting stitches and patterns, and he and I played a lot of cards. In fact, I'd recommend that almost above all else. Just sit down every night and play poker or something for, like, an hour. It kept us busy (both mentally and physically), and it was a nice, healthy way of releasing our aggression without fighting.

It sounds like you're doing really good though. Keep it up!

my bf is quitting right now, and he's having a hard time because he LOVES to smoke. so he's supstituting snuff, that finely ground tobacco that you snort. he was so funny, he was like "this is kind of gross, I'm not sure if you want to know about it..." but I pointed out that cigarettes are gross anyway, so ...? he's also smoking a pipe.

so basically no quitting tips here, but you might not want to substitute the smoking part with a pipe and the nicotine part with snuff like my bf. it's a little nuts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads