flowers...gardening...help???

i have this gerbera plant i bought at trader joe's a few months ago. it was doing really great and it kept blooming these pretty red flowers. except i didn't deadhead fast enough and it went into seed (i think that's what happened at least). now flowers won't bloom.

the plant is still healthy. i repotted it and water it once a week (yougrowgirl said not to water it too much). it's sitting on my kitchen counter which doesn't get too much sun but it's about 60 degrees in the kitchen.

does it mean it's not going to bloom anymore? if so how do i make it flower again?

thanks!

jangrl

2. # ADS

Hi jangrl,

Sounds like it may have gone to seed, BUT I would try to fertilize it, and more importantly to move it somewhere with more light.
    I hate to say this but, I used to sell these guys when I worked in the nursery business, and they never lasted very long. I know because I fell victim to their irresistable cuteness too. At best, I got them to bloom only a couple months for me, and then it was all green all the time.

These guys also haven't been raised to make it outside like their friends you see at your garden centers later in the year, so you can't expect them to survive in your garden outside right now.
    Wish I had better news for you, maybe someone else out there has had better luck with them?

Good luck!

so does that mean when it goes to seed it won't bloom anymore?
    (sorry dumb question - i'm no gardening expert!)

jangrl

yes, generally speaking once a plant has set its seed, it won't bloom again. that's why you always want to deadhead your blooms, it encourages the plant to keep putting forth energy into blooming, and when you don't, it sets seed to create a new plant.
    my solution? buy another ; )
    cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by kittoness View Post
    Hi jangrl,

Sounds like it may have gone to seed, BUT I would try to fertilize it, and more importantly to move it somewhere with more light.
    I hate to say this but, I used to sell these guys when I worked in the nursery business, and they never lasted very long. I know because I fell victim to their irresistable cuteness too. At best, I got them to bloom only a couple months for me, and then it was all green all the time.

These guys also haven't been raised to make it outside like their friends you see at your garden centers later in the year, so you can't expect them to survive in your garden outside right now.
    Wish I had better news for you, maybe someone else out there has had better luck with them?

Good luck!
    Wow!! I hope this idea is helpful for gardening. Very nice!!
    samson smith
    Wind Chimes
    samson[dot]smith009[at]gmail[dot]com

Remove Ads

Ads