Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's cookin'?

are you talking about that white chunky cheese that looks like feta at mexican restaurants? That's called queso fresco, maybe the sauce is made from that?

jt

2. # ADS

I love pierogies but I'm allergic to potatoes--so I'd love to make my own (maybe with sweet potoatoes!) or find some that are just plain cheese. Yum!

Lately I have been doctoring Thai Kitchen soup mixes--I like the ginger, green onion and garlic flavors with rice noodles--& i add chopped up spinach or chard, frozen vegetables, or scallops and make soup. it is so good, and they only take a couple of minutes on the stove. Plus they are 69 cents each so making two together and adding a few things to feed 2 people is so cheap!

I've also been making popcorn at home with cinnamon, a little tiny bit of sugar, and salt on it. It's amazing. We have an old-fashioned turn handle popper from popcornpopper.com that we got for Christmas last year. I love that thing.

thanks shannon!

I will check those out and report back!

-cherokee

I just discovered the most delicious food. My friend made me hamburger pinwheels. This is a meal from WWII when people were trying to stretch meat to make it last longer.

You roll out dough into a rectangle. Spread out hambuger (my friend substituted turkey which was yummy) and onions (sautee them beforehand). You can also add chopped up peppers. Roll the whole thing up and cut into slices like biscuits. Spread on cookie sheet and bake at 425 for 15-20 min. The time may vary for you-we live at 7500+ ft. and that affects baking times.

They are so yummy! You can eat them in your hand like a little sandwich and they're good hot or cold.

Last edited by Elf_Chick; 04-14-2011 at 10:01 PM.

my hub and i adore the savory chicken packets from jesser's site

http://www.jesser.org/cookbook/recipes.php?id=60&opt=4

i add in some minced garlic and i use chipotle mayo instead and they are soooooo freaking good (and are even yummier reheated).

my family is polish, all of my aunts freaked out when they found out the church we had the dinner for my grandma's funeral had pierogies.

they all bought like 2 dozen, meat and potatoes.

i still haven't had any.

the white mexican cheese... im still trying to find out exactly what it is. i hear that its goat cheese. i dont think queso fresco is the same thing. they don't usually melt it... in my experiences.

all i've been cooking lately is bread, because i can't find any good bread at the store.

i'm getting off to a rip roaring start here--three posts in five minutes!
    however, i had to mention the sushi i made this weekend for my housewarming/double birthday party. i made the most sushi i have ever made--two *HUGE* trays. i made inari, which was so delicious. but the most surprising thing were the new "weird" combos i tried: roasted salted peanuts with avocado roll and mashed sweet potato with shiitake mushrooms. both were AMAZING! and a hit, i must say. everyone loved the sushi!

Quote Originally Posted by Elf_Chick
    i'm also going to make whipped cream (the real deal) if my mother will get on the stick and choose a frigging hand mixer (the 27-yr old harvest gold one from her wedding is now defunct);
    Slight hijack...is "Get on the stick" a real expression? My mom always says that and I'm always thinking it's "Get on the ball"

As for what's cookin at my house, last night my b/f grilled sausages and I made carmelized onions and we had them on cibatta rolls from costco.

Then i had cheddar cheese (also from costco) on a pear. yum.

jt

hey all...
    All the talk of perogies got me thinking about pasties...I was camping in the U.P. and they were everywhere. So when I came home I hacked out a recipe...you basically mix a load of crisco with a load of flour until you can roll it out into a bunch of medium size circles, then you fill them with boiled root veggies (traditionally turnips carrots potatoes and onions I think) and beef. Fold one side over the other, crimp the edges and bake em'.
    And hey, If you dont feel like having a crisco starch bomb, you can sub yogurt for the grease, and bake any thing inside. I made Thai ones last month.
    Mmmminer food.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads