Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's cookin'?

What's cookin'?

Last edited by Elf_Chick; 04-14-2011 at 08:56 PM.

2. # ADS

nothing terribly exciting today as i'm nursing a migraine, but when the hubber gets home from church i think we're going to have some pierogies that we bought at the grocery store a while back.

he had never had them before i introduced him to them, such a sheltered food existence he has led! now he's in love with them, thankfully. after all, who DOESN'T like pierogies?

last night i was watching bobby flay battle iron chef morimoto and the concept of drunken lobster was fascinating me.

he just put them in a barrel of sake for 45 minutes or so... i have no idea what sake tastes like, as i don't drink, but i have no problem with cooking with alcohol, what with it cooking out and all. no different than a flavor extract, in my eyes.

so anyway, sake and lobster? what do you think??

--jessie

Pierogies? I love them! My SO grew up in Michigan and ate them growing up. I'm from Indiana and had never heard of them until he made them for me. Delicious.

Today it was just leftovers for me. I reheated some green chile stew my SO had made. With elk meat our neighbor had given us. Very good.

I've also been munching on brownies I made yesterday. I'm not a good cook so having brownies from a box turn out edible was very satisfying.

hey shannon, did you figure out the recipe for that cream of roasted jalapeno soup? was that it?

that sounds sooo good.

my creamy soups always end up curdling. boo!

I've never had a pierogie, but I've been looking for a recipe to try out. Any suggestions, or is it better just to buy the premade ones?

We went grocery shopping yesterday, so we have lots of potential meals! Today I'll probly make a chickpea curry when I get home to take for work for the rest of the week. And I'll be making a quesadilla for my late lunch -- the elf_chick way, as a matter of fact. Mmm, quesadillas.

For dinner I'm making a quick pot pie with a Bisquick mix topping -- pie crust tastes better, but takes too much time for a Monday night. Not high cuisine, but it tastes good.

pierogies aren't that bad to make if you have a pasta maker, i had a recipe where you made the dough and had to roll it thin (used the pasta maker for that part), then i'd make mashed potatoes and stuff the pasta with that, boil the dumplings and then fry them in butter and onions...there's a heart clogger for ya...even better with a brat on the side :)

For sunday nights my b/f has been cooking me pasta and sausages to go with our weekly viewing of the sopranos :)

jt

Ohh, pierogies. I'm pretty sure I used to be able to find vegan pierogies (potato and onion, no cheese) in Pennsylvania with no problem, but I haven't seen any like that in Chicago. I miss them.

Here's a great "cheat" if you want to make pierogies but don't want to make your own pasta: use wonton/dumpling/eggroll wrappers, available at Asian grocery stores or in many grocers' produce sections. I've used frozen dumpling wrappers to make both pierogies and ravioli before and have been pleased with the results.

I've been a really lazy chef lately so I don't have any good cooking adventures of my own to share just now. :)

Elfchick---any idea how to make the white cheese sauce you get in Mexican restuarants? I've tried several different cheeses and can't seem to find the right one.

I had never heard of Pierogies until my husband brought some home. Very tasty. At first I called them porgies because I could never remember what they were called.

For Cinco de Mayo I'm making chicken qesadilla and nacho salad.

Last week I tried pecan crusted chicken (not so good) and tropical chicken (very good) and a broccoli casserole that was low carb (Dad's on the Atkins diet). This week we are trying a new linguine recipe and maybe some peanut butter cookies. While organizing our cabinet the other day I realized that we have 3 jars of open peanut butter and I want to try to use some of it up. Last night we made yummy italian doughnuts to use up some riccotta cheese that expires this week. I've been on a cooking kick for the last week or two. We're moving in 3 weeks so the more we eat up the less I have to pack, plus we're broke from moving.

Last edited by Elf_Chick; 04-14-2011 at 09:03 PM.

Elfchick---here is the tropical chicken recipe http://chicken.allrecipes.com/az/TropicalChicken.asp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads