Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Such a great topic!

Having been a fine arts major in school, this is a touchy subject. Some people feel there is a huge gap between "fine art" and "craft." Personally, I think there can be an overlap between the areas. Art is generally made to be admired and respected by the public. Crafts are usually made for personal use or admiration. I have seen several art shows of mediums that would be considered craft.

Also, the making of things is considered your craft, no matter what the arena.

I think the difference lies in the intention of the piece. Are you making something functional or something to display? But that's just my 2 cents.

2. # ADS

Having not thought about this very much, I would say that my working definition is that craft is when you honor the process of making the thing as much as the finished product.

ETA:

Crafts are usually made for personal use or admiration. I have seen several art shows of mediums that would be considered craft.
    I've actually been to more than one craft museums, and some of the objects there weren't even functional. Apparently, craft museum define craft as objects that are functional or take the form of functional things. So if you make jewelry that can't actually be worn or a bench that can't actually be sat on, that could still be craft. It seems like a kind of convoluted definition to me, but I also am not sure that the distinction between art and craft is one that is worth staying up nights over.

Hi,

A craft is an activity such as weaving, carving, or pottery that involves making things skilfully by hand, often in a traditional way. When craft has this meaning, its plural form is crafts.

Hope it helps you out. If you need any other assistance related with fine arts and paintings then you can ask.

It's an activity involving skill in making things by hand.
    an activity involving skill in making things by hand.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads