Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    it totally depends on what i'm making and totally effects the outcome. when i'm painting, i have really liked the 'kundun' soundtrack by philip glass, as well as 'medulla' and 'homogenic' by bjork. while doing my caffeinated crocheting at the cafe, i totally dig it when my dj pal there plays chem. bros., mushroom jazz by mark farina or is spinning other goodies. when doing paper mache sculpture, funky/aggro-ish stuff is the way to go. housework has called for screeching weasel, op ivy, and minor threat. guess i'm all over the place!

2. # ADS

Silence for reading; Birthday Massacre, Rasputina, NIN for studying;

Ani DiFranco, The Killers, The Faint, Rilo Kiley, OR Nine Inch Nail's Fragile or With Teeth (the other two albums are too loud+concentration demanding for crafting) for crafting/other creativity things;

Postal Service, The Killers, upbeat contemporary Christian, Queen for cleaning.

Really anything I'm in the mood for when straightening up, relaxing, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by brdgt
    Quote Originally Posted by xuli
    While I study, I need silence.
    It's funny - since I grew up in a trailer, where there was constant noise, I can't stand complete silence, even when I'm studying.
    These things always interest me. I grew up in a house with constant, constant noise too -- four younger siblings and a parenting style that involved a lot of shouting. In my own home, I like as much quiet as possible. It's like I have to get all the quiet I missed out on growing up.

Sorry for the hijack. I feel like I've been derailing everyone's threads lately.

Quote Originally Posted by brdgt
    While I study, I need silence.
    It's funny - since I grew up in a trailer, where there was constant noise, I can't stand complete silence, even when I'm studying.
    These things always interest me. I grew up in a house with constant, constant noise too -- four younger siblings and a parenting style that involved a lot of shouting. In my own home, I like as much quiet as possible. It's like I have to get all the quiet I missed out on growing up.

Sorry for the hijack. I feel like I've been derailing everyone's threads lately.
    I also had the longest busride in history (90 minutes, literally the last stop) so I got a lot of homework done on the bus, which was, of course, loud.

I like silence in general too, and I definitely prefer it when I'm reading.

For other crafty activities, which most often are knitting, cooking or drawing (and hopefully soon: sewing), I like the background noise of TV, as long as it's something I like and doesn't take too much attention. For example, the tennis (the Australian Open is on at the moment) or the cricket (always bloody on). Never game shows. I find them soul-sucking.

If I'm in the mood for music I mostly listen to The Waifs, Ben Lee or recently, The John Butler Trio - independent, folky, Australian music.

I used to need music on constantly, unless I was watching t.v. And still when people ask my why I don't listen to NPR, I say, "Well, why would I do that if I can listen to music?" Music is a huge part of what I was and still am.

Loud music can actually put me to sleep, and I rarely nap.

But in general, after having gone to college and lived with several roommates, I find that music, while important to me, is really only most important to me when I'm taking a walk or goofing off in my room. It's great for cleaning, too. And for feeling sorry for oneself.

But I can't say that I listen to it as much as I used to, and a huge part of that is not having an adequate stereo system here or even really being in my room. But it's always in my head. I just can't read to it anymore. A loss.

The eclecticism here is wonderful! What's interesting is I don't see much mention of 'top 40' popular stuff- I see goth/industrial, older country, folk music, classical, and so on. An interesting list compared to perhaps what most people listen to.

I think it depends, certain craft time happens to be SATC or GG show or rerun, so I tend to keep it on. Otherwise, I listen to mostly jazz. So, I craft to that.

I've been thinking and I think the ultimate situation would be if you could have a crafty TV show playing in the background while you craft.

I think the pinnacle for me would be watching an episode of Jamie Oliver while baking a cake, or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by anthrogirl
    The eclecticism here is wonderful! What's interesting is I don't see much mention of 'top 40' popular stuff- I see goth/industrial, older country, folk music, classical, and so on. An interesting list compared to perhaps what most people listen to.
    I've actually been craving top 40 lately. I feel like I'm sort of at a point in my life where I can openly listen to whatever I feel like listening to, to hell with what other people think, because I know I have some really satisfying music on hand for when I need it. But sometimes it just feels nice to listen to something mindless and catchy.

Do we have any hip-hop fans on here? I wonder. Or did I miss that...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads