sweatshop research

i was wondering if anyone knows of any good resources to do research on unfair labor practices and the use of sweatshops? i've decided that instead of a new years resolution, i'm going to give up one thing each month (give it up for good that is) that is not a need or that is detrimental to me, society, or the environment.

so for feb . i've decided to stop purchasing clothing made in sweatshops or by corporations that approve of this type of labor. i know this will definately limit my purchasing, but it will also help me to become more creative and give me some sound peace of mind.

anyway, any resources that you guys have would be really helpful. i just want to make sure that when i'm spending it's going to a place that i support.

2. # ADS

You can visit this website:

http://www.behindthelabel.org

They are a watchdog group for all kinds of labor offenses, but they focus on the textile/apparel industry.

Thanks for that website! I usually buy all of my clothing from thrift stores, both for economic and environmental reasons. I would love to know what I'm supporting when I go into other stores, though.

thanks for the tip! that's a good resouce. i appreciate the help.

hmm...i know websites for apparel sweatshop info but not so much for every day items. i guess some good ole fashioned google searching is in order. i also suggets looking up brands of phillip morris like kraft and post to stop contributing to the evil tobacco industry.

I don't have a lot of information on major retailers, but the following links are all sweatshop-free apparel:

No Sweat Apparel--Produced by independent trade union members in the US, Canada, and the developing world. No Sweat defines the market for goods that support independent trade unions - the only historically proven solution to sweatshops.

Justice Clothing-- We sell only union-made and sweatshop-free apparel. We do this because we are dedicated to certain ideals: that workers deserve fair wages, a healthy work environment, and to be treated with dignity and respect on the job.

New American Dream--I love this organization's name! Anyway, they're a huge resource, but this will link you directly to their pages about apparel; they have both links to sweatshop-free sellers and also educational links.

I hope this helps you, tavia. My husband recently convinced his nonprofit to purchase their shirts from No Sweat Apparel, and we've been super pleased with their products. :)

sorry I'm late to this but...you have to check out this...

You should definelty check out this site of Naomi Klein's:
    http://www.nologo.org/
    and, her book "No Logo" is really amazing. It will make you never want to buy anything from a chain store again.
    (yeah for no sweatshop shopping....also, there is are US companies like:
    www.americanapparel.com
    and
    www.alternativeapparel.com

microrevolt.org

Remove Ads

Ads